Map point configuration
Map points allow usage policy to be targeted to different users based on the server they connect to and their AD membership. You can create shared or private/home map points for whole OUs, user groups, or individual users.
There are two parts to setting a map point:
- Add the map point, specify the map point type, connection and sync mode.
- Define policies for usage and platform access.
Note that users will be unable to see or access the map point until policy is assigned.
Refer to Map Point Policy for further information and examples of how to configure policies based on user group or AD group membership.
Add map point
- From the File Director admin console, click Configuration > Map Points and click Add New. Or click Edit to update an existing map point.
- The Add New Map Point dialog is displayed:
Note that the fields displayed vary depending upon the map point type selected.
In the Map Point type list click the option required.
- For shared map points, enter a value in the Name field to easily identify the map point.
Note, the name "Home" is reserved for use by the home/private map point and should not be set as the name of a shared map point.
Do not name a map point “Share”.
For private/home map points the Name value displayed is non-configurable.
- For shared map points enter the URL for the map point storage in the Connection String field.
•It is recommended that file servers are entered as fully qualified domain names (FQDN), particularly if you are using Kerberos authentication.
•SMB connection strings must begin with \\
connection strings must begin with http:// or https://
To designate a user directory, insert %UserName% into the share path, for example, http://servername.company.com/users/%UserName%).
Note that %UserName% is case sensitive.
- Select the required
- Manual: Only download files as requested by the user - Files are downloaded to a user device as they are opened.
Automatic: Download/sync all files for this map point - All File Director files are downloaded locally when the user logs in to File Director and changed, and new local files are automatically synchronized with the server.
These settings apply to Windows and Mac clients. Mobile devices upload and download on demand rather than sync.
For Windows clients, electives can be applied that prevent certain files being automatically downloaded. For example, specific file types or files above a certain size can be prevented from being automatically downloaded. See File Sync Controls.
Click Save to add the map point.
To set a policy for the map point, click the Set policy for this map point.
Refer to Map Point Policy for more information.
Delete a map point
1.From the admin console, click Configuration > Map Points.
2.Next to the map point you wish to delete, click Delete.
3.You may need to reload the page to view updated information.
Was this article useful?