Ivanti User Workspace Manager products can be patched using a Windows Installer patch (MSP file). A patch is an MSP file which, when installed, updates files and registry keys on an existing installed product. Installing an MSP can reduce system downtime as reboots are not always required. User Workspace Manager product patching gives all of the usual benefits associated with Windows Installer Patching, including ease of deployment and the ability to rollback to an earlier version.
In this section:
- Public Hotfix - Issued publicly on myAppSense to address a widely reported issue and should only be installed to address the specific problem. Public Hotfixes are cumulative in that they contain all previous Private and Public Hotfixes. Public Hotfixes are distributed as an MSP.
- Service Pack - Contains all of the fixes from the last Private or Public Hotfix and any previous Service Packs, plus any fixes that have been found for which a Private or Public Hotfix was not issued. Service Packs are distributed as an MSP.
To install a patch using Management Center you must first upload the MSP and then assign it to a deployment group for deployment to the endpoints.
Upload an MSP
- Open the Management Console and in the navigation pane select the Packages navigation button.
- Click on the required product, for example Environment Manager. The package library for the selected product displays in the work area.
From the Actions panel, select Add Package.
The Browse for Package dialog displays.
Locate the required MSP file and click Open.
The base MSI package for the selected patch must have previously been uploaded.
- The Package Upload wizard displays.
- Check the details of the selected package and optionally enter a description.
- Click Next to start the upload.
When the upload has competed successfully click Finish.
The MSP can now be seen in the package library.
Deploy an MSP to an endpoint
In the Management Console navigate to: Home > Deployment Groups > [Deployment Group] > Packages.
The Packages work area displays a list of User Workspace Manager products and the associated packages.
Highlight the required product package and from the Actions panel select Change Agent Version.
A dialog to change the packages used by the group displays.
Select the required patch package. For example, 8.6 SP2 HF3
The packages list updates.
Once all changes have been made, from the bottom of the work area, click Review and Submit.
The Submit Changes for [Deployment Group] dialog displays.
Review the changes to be made to the deployment groups and click Submit.
A warning may display informing you that changes to an agent can cause reboots at the times defined by the installation schedule.
- If the warning message displays, click Yes to assign the changes. Alternatively, click Submit to assign the changes.
- The patch deploys to the deployment group computers according to the Installation Schedule.
User Workspace Manager patches can be installed from the command-line as well as from the Management Center.
It is recommended that Logging is switched on when using the following
To enable Logging add
/l*vx Patch.log immediately
msiexec.exe /i /l*vx Patch.log Agent.msi
Install an MSP
To install an MSP type the following command:
msiexec.exe /p Agent.msp
Do not use
/update when installing the MSP file
as this will remove all existing features.
Install an MSI and MSP
To install an MSI and MSP in a single operation type the following command:
msiexec.exe /i Agent.msi PATCH=C:\FullPath\Agent.msp
Uninstall an MSP
To uninstall an MSP type the following command:
msiexec.exe /i Agent.msi MSIPATCHREMOVE=C:\FullPath\Agent.msp
Uninstall an MSI and MSP
To uninstall an MSI and MSP type the following command:
msiexec.exe /x Agent.msi
This uninstalls all associated MSP files.
Using Management Center to install patches, provides additional advantages such as the facility to downgrade newer versions of MSI files as well as removing MSP files to apply previous versions. To roll back to an older patch, just reassign the older version to the deployment group.
Was this article useful?
Copyright © 2019, Ivanti. All rights reserved.