New Asset General Tab
Use this tab to view the basic properties of a selected asset, or to add a new asset to your Cherwell Asset Management configuration.
When you add a new asset, you are required to enter a name for it. All other fields are optional. You can enter, change, or view the following information for the current asset:
- Name: The name of the asset you are viewing or adding. This is the only required field in this tab.
- Serial #: If you enter a serial number for the asset, the serial number must not match the serial number of any other asset that has the same name.
- Description: A text description of the asset.
- Asset type (list box): By default, these types are listed: Backup device, Data storage, Firewall, Printer, Router, Server, Switch, <Unknown>, and <New...>. The default is <Unknown>. Selecting <New...> opens a dialog box where you can define a new asset type.
- Asset Types (button): Opens a dialog box where you can add, rename, or delete asset types.
- IP address: The IP address of the asset.
- Manufacturer: This box is blank until you select the accompanying button and select a manufacturer from the list in the dialog box that opens.
- Location: Information about the device's physical location.
- Owner: The owner of the device.
- Notes: Any additional text to describe the device.