How to Import User-Defined Custom Machine Data
If you have created user-defined custom machine properties, you can import that user-defined data from an Excel spreadsheet directly into your CAM Database. To import this data:
- From the Tools menu, point to Import and then select Machine Data (Excel).
- A wizard opens, which steps you through the process of specifying the filename, worksheet, and fields to import.
- Enter the appropriate information in each dialog box of the wizard, and select Next at each one to continue.
- After completing all the dialog boxes, select Finish to import the data.
Once completed, you will be presented with a summary of the import process. You can select Close to close the import dialog or View Log to view more details of any data that was skipped during the import process.
- Your spreadsheet must include columns that contain the machine names and domain names. These are used to match the imported data to the correct machine.
- Your spreadsheet does not need to contain all of your user-defined custom machine properties. You can import other properties from another spreadsheet or enter it manually.
- Your spreadsheet can contain data that is not to be imported. Only those columns you associate with user-defined custom properties are imported.
- If you have trouble importing data using this method, see Technical Note 1078.
- If you want to create an Excel spreadsheet into which you can manually enter the user-defined custom machine property data, first add the user-defined property definitions, and then view the Custom Inventory report from Reporting and export it to Excel format. You can then modify the spreadsheet in Excel and import it back into Cherwell Asset Management using the process described above.