Check for Errors
Use the Check for Errors One-Step™ Action to test SLAs in CSM.
Due to the complex, data-driven nature of SLAs, CSM incorporates a One-Step Action to help mitigate errors that you may encounter when you create or configure an SLA.
The error-checking mechanism may not catch every error. It should not be used as a guarantee but rather as a supplement to thorough SLA design and implementation.
Use one of the following ways to initiate error checking:
- On the SLA form, select the Check for Errors link in the Actions list.
- On the SLA form, select the Check For Errors On Save check box under Advanced Options, and then save the record.
Check for Errors One-Step Action:
- Setup Error Testing: The first step of the One-Step Action clears out the temporary fields that are used during the rest of the process.
- Check Incident Target Times: Next, the One-Step Action verifies that for every SLA target time for Incident there is exactly one default. If no defaults are present, the system does not know how to handle exceptional cases in which an Incident is created outside of the business hours that the SLA target times are set up for. Additionally, more than one default would be ambiguous leading to unpredictable results.
- Check Service Request Target Times: The same checks that are performed against the Incident SLA target times are performed against the Service Request SLA target times.
- Incident Matrix Matching: This step verifies that for each Incident priority available via the priority matrix, there is a corresponding SLA target time to handle that given priority. If any discrepancies are found, they are added to the list of errors to be displayed at the end of the error checking.
- Service Request Matrix Matching: This step tests for consistency between the Priority Matrix Elements (PMEs) and SLA target times for Service Requests.
- Check Response vs. Resolution: This step makes a quick pass through all SLA target times and compares the response and resolution times. If the response time is greater than the resolution time, an error is displayed.
- Display Results: Finally, a popup is displayed showing any errors found or a confirmation that no errors were found.