Define a Web Knowledge Source
Use a Web Knowledge source to search a specific website (example: Google, Yahoo, YouTube).
When you define a Web Knowledge source, you define:
- General properties: Type of Knowledge source, display name, image, website, and search text parameter name.
- Search criteria: Search categories.
- Solution: Option as to how to link the source to a record.
Good to Know:
- Web Knowledge source is only accessible from the CSM Desktop Client.
- The Business Object drop-down list is not relevant for this type of Knowledge source.
- To ensure that you typed in the correct Web page, select View on the right side of the field to preview the site.
- Determine the appropriate URL and search parameter by accessing the website and executing a search. Then, look at the resulting URL in your browser.
To define a web Knowledge source:
- Open the Knowledge Source Manager.
- Define general properties:
- Source: Select Web in the drop-down list.
Provide a display name to use within CSM (search this property in CSM Item Managers).
- Image: Select a display image to use within CSM using the Image Manager.
- Website: Enter the URL for the website.
- Search text parameter name: Provide the name of the search parameter (specific to the Web Knowledge source) that needs to be passed on to the search engine.
The value of the parameter is the list of search words (example: When searching Google, the parameter is "q", which generates a search URL, such as http://www.google.com/search?q=My+Search+Words).
- Define Search Criteria:
- Categories: When a search is launched from a Business Object that has categorization (example: An Incident with a Network category and Performance subcategory), the categories are passed to the Knowledge source.
- Define the solution:
- Journal entry: A new Journal entry is created on the target object and the data from the web page is used for the Journal text.
- Attachment: The URL of the final search result is attached to the target object, and appears on the attachment bar.
- Select Save.