Grid Options for Third-Party Reporting Tools
When using third-party reporting tools with the Cherwell REST API you can use a Grid to display details returned by a Saved Search. You can modify the Grid to specify column selection.
In third-party reporting tools and CSM, Grid settings are specific to the logged in CSM user. For more information, see Grid Persistence.
Cherwell recommends you have a dedicated CSM user account for each third-party reporting tool (switching CSM user accounts also switches Grid settings).
Customizing Grid Columns for Saved Searches
If you are using the Power BI data connector, for Cherwell's recommended method for customizing column selections, see Using Grids with Power BI.
The columns in the third-party reporting tools are the same columns displayed in CSM Desktop Client and CSM Browser Client when running the same Saved Search for the same CSM user account.
In CSM, you can customize which columns are displayed and the column order on a per user basis. The per user customizations are used in the third-party reporting tool after refreshing the data.
You can customize columns in both CSM Desktop ClientandCSM Browser Client.
The customizations you make to the columns are stored for the logged in CSM user, using the default Grid for the Business Object with which the Saved Search is associated.
When logged in to CSM Desktop Client and CSM Browser Client with the sameCSM user account, all views using the default Grid for the Business Object display the customizations.
For example, if you customize the columns for an Incident search (example: All Closed Incidents), other Saved Searches associated with Incident (example: All Assigned Incidents) and other views that use the default Incident Grid will also show the customizations.
To customize the grid columns:
- Open the Search Manager.
- Run a Saved Search.
- To view the results in Grid format, in:
- CSM Desktop Client, select View > Results in Grid.
- CSM Browser Client, select Show Results Grid.
- To add or remove Grid columns, in:
- CSM Desktop Client, right-click the Grid header and select Customize Columns.
- CSM Browser Client, from the Grid menu bar, select Columns and use the Column Selector.
- To change the order of the columns, move the column header to a new location in the Grid.
- To close the Search Results and save the Grid customization, select Home.
If you have already pulled the Saved Search into a third-party reporting tool before amending the displayed columns, to ensure the updated columns are displayed, complete the steps for the relevant third-party reporting tool below.
- To delete the 'Expanded Column1' entry within the Applied Steps section (right-hand side), select the X.
- On the main toolbar, select Refresh Preview.
- To see the data similar to how it is now displayed in CSM, expand the record column.
- Select Data > New Data Source and create a new data source connection, which will contain updated data.
- Import data using the Web Data Connector feature. For more information, see Using Tableau and the Web Data Connector.
After authenticating and executing the query, a data schema is built in Tableau. If data types are incorrect, you can correct them now.
- To import the data into Tableau, select Update Now. You can arrange the data as needed.
The new columns are displayed in the third-party reporting tool.
If the new columns are not displayed, wait a few seconds and try again.
If the new columns are still not displayed, verify that you used the same CSM user account to configure the columns as you used when configuring the connection to the Data Connector.