About Imported Data and Linked Data
You can choose to use an external database connection to import or link to CSM Business Object data. There are pros and cons to each approach.
Considerations for Linked Data
- CSM always shows the external database's most recent data (that is, databases are in sync).
- CSM Users can directly update data in the external database if you enabled updates for the External Business Object.
- The option to link new Business Objects to an external database is not available for Cherwell SaaS customers.
- You cannot modify an existing Business Object to configure external database connections.
- CSM’s underlying SQL queries cannot cross the CSM/external database boundary.
- Example 1: Create a One-Step Action to use a Linked External Business Object, but that One-Step Action cannot use a CSM Business Object. Likewise, create a One-Step Action to use a CSM Business Object, but that One-Step Action cannot use a Linked External Business Object.
- Example 2: Create a Search to use a Linked External Business Object, but that Search cannot use a CSM Business Object. Likewise, create a Search to use a CSM Business Object, but that Search cannot use a Linked External Business Object.
- There is potential for reduced performance when retrieving data from an external database. If the external database goes offline, there can be a significant delay while CSM attempts to connect before timing out.
- Unless done carefully, updates from CSM could possibly violate business rules of the external database.
- When data is changed outside of CSM, CSM Automation Processes are not initiated. If the data is changed within CSM, then the business logic is executed.
Considerations for Imported Data
- You can import external data into new and existing Business Objects.
- The data is available for every single feature in CSM. The data is not limited by the CSM boundary or system boundary mentioned above.
- Use additional CSM fields to augment the imported data.
- Full-Text Search can be used for searching.
- The imported Table/View can become part of a CSM Group (example: It could be a Configuration Item Group member).
- The data is only as current as the last import. However, use the Cherwell Scheduler to import the data at regular intervals.
- If data is deleted from the external database, it still exists in CSM.