Recover Password Key
A administrator can recover a password encryption key for a user that has access to the client and the encrypted storage medium.
You must complete the following actions before recovering a password encryption key:
- Generate a Medium Encrypted by user report using the predefined template in the Log Explorer module.
- From the Medium Encrypted by user report, verify the hash number provided by the user from the client Recover Password dialog is an exact match.
- Request the Encrypted Medium ID and Security Code values from the user that are shown in the client Recover Password dialog.
You can use the Password Recovery Wizard to generate a user passphrase that a user can use with the client to generate a new password for an encrypted removable storage device.
- In the Management Console, select Tools > Password Recovery wizard.
The Password Recovery Wizard dialog opens.
- Enter the 32-character alphanumeric value provided by the user in the Encrypted Medium ID field.
- Enter the 44-character alphanumeric value provided by the user in the Security Code field.
- Click Next.
Tip:If any of the values are entered incorrectly, you will receive an error message. Re-enter the values and click Next again.
The Password Recovery Wizard generates a 52-character alphanumeric passphrase, the device description, and the user name.
- Communicate the Passphrase to the user.
- Click Finish.
The user can enter the passphrase in the client Recover Password dialog and create a new password to decrypt the encrypted storage medium.