Creating a File Scanning Template
You can create a template to identify new file authorization changes to make when new software is installed.
You can scan for files by creating a template with the following rules:
- Scan all executables matching the pattern *.exe or *.dll in the %SYSTEMROOT% directory and subdirectories.
- Scan all files matching the pattern *.exe or *.dll in the %PROGRAMFILES% directory and subdirectories.
- From the Management Console, select View > Modules > Scan Explorer > Perform New Scan > Create New Template.
The Create New Template dialog opens.
- In the New Template name: field, enter the name for the new template.
- Click Add.
The New Rule dialog opens.
- In the Scan files matching the pattern (use * wildcard for all files) field, enter the name patterns to use for scanning.
- In the In directory field, enter the path name for the directory you want to scan.
- Select one or more of the following options:
- Click OK.
The New rule dialog closes and the rules you define appear on the Rules box.
- Click Save.
The Perform New Scan dialog lists the new template in the From Template drop-down list.
Caution: When you specify wildcard masks, for example: *.com, you can miss scanning for files that do not use standard file extensions such as: *.exe, or *.dll, and so forth. The result is that these types of files will not be authorized, which means that these applications will not work or work properly.
|Include subdirectories||Scan subdirectories of the root directory.|
|Scan executables||Scan for executable files and ignore all other file types. The scan also searches for 16-bit executables.
If you do not select the Scan Executables option, you must specify the *.exe and *.sys for the matching pattern to scan for these types of files.