The Device Control Media Authorizer module provides administrators the ability to encrypt non- bootable hard disk or flash removable storage media, and authorize user access to the encrypted media. Removable storage media are defined for Device Control as any device recognized by the Windows removable storage devices class through the plug-and-play feature.
With the Media Authorizer you can:
- Add CD/DVD media to the database.
- Authorize user access to individually specified CD/DVD media in the network environment.
- Perform centralized data encryption for removable storage media.
- Perform centralized data encryption for removable storage media used when computers and users are connected to your network environment.
- Rename CD/DVD disk media that has been added to the database.
- Authorize user access to encrypted removable storage media in the network environment.
- Export encryption keys to provide access to encrypted media used outside your network environment.
Add CD/DVD Media
An administrator can add CD/DVD media to the database.
To successfully add CD/DVD media to the database, the following conditions must be met:
- The administrator has Read or Read/Write permission assigned as using the Device Explorer module.
- A client is installed on the same computer as the Management Console where user access is authorized.
- In the Management Console select View > Modules > Media Authorizer.
- Click Add CD/DVD.
You are prompted to insert a CD/DVD.
- Insert the CD/DVD.
The Media Authorizer calculates a unique cryptographic signature and displays the Media Name dialog.
- Click OK.
The Media Name label is used to register the CD/DVD in the database.