Configure data sources for external databases
At Data Model > Data Sources, configure Data Sources. Use ODBC Data Sources to define data in an external database.
Specify the data source from which you want to synchronize data. You can only use data sources that you created with the ODBC Data Source Administrator. You can use User DSNs, System DSNs and File DSNs.
- Click ODBC Data Source Administrator to create additional data sources.
- Do not use a local path to specify a data source, because the Management Portal is web based. Instead, specify the host name of the specific server that stores the data source (e.g: VM-WIN2012\Datasource\HRfile).
- You can use file DSNs, to share the DSNs with other users.
Specify the credentials to access the data source.
- In Building Blocks of Data Sources, credentials of the Security context fields are not included. You have to set these credentials again after you imported the Building Block.
Specify the database table from which you want to synchronize data.
- Select <SQL statement> to use a custom SQL statement, for example to retrieve and combine data from different tables.
- For certain database types (e.g. Microsoft SQL Server and Microsoft Access), you can also select database views.
Specify the time in seconds in which a Datastore connection should be established. By default, this is 15 seconds.
- Configure a longer timeout period in scenarios in which establishing a connection to the Datastore takes a long time.
Specify the time in seconds in which the database command (query) should be executed. By default, this is 30 seconds.
- Configure a longer timeout period in scenarios in which the synchronization of the Data Source causes Identity Director to load data that takes more time to read from the external data source, for example due to the complexity of the query.
- Do not specify a value "0". Although this disables the timeout, it means for example that if a query takes 3 days to execute, the synchronization takes 3 days to complete.
Optionally, filter out irrelevant data from the external data.
- The Preview Data tab shows a preview of the ODBC information.
- The Data Connections tab shows which Data Connections currently use the Data Source.