Management and Security powered by Landesk
Creating a Data Analytics product
If you're using Ivanti Data Analytics, you have the ability to monitor license-rules-based products within the software license monitoring (SLM) console.
Data Analytics uses license rules to evaluate your installed software and report how many installations need a license (in contrast to other discovered products in SLM that don’t take into account license rules and show the actual number of licenses installed on devices). You may have 100 installations of a product, but the license rules that Data Analytics uses may show that you need only 50 licenses to be compliant.
For example, if you have both Microsoft Office 2012 Professional and Office 2010 Professional installed on one device:
- Using license rules, the Data Analytics products show 1 installation of Office 2012 Professional and 0 installations of Office 2010 Professional, because the license for Office 2012 Professional covers multiple versions of this edition of Office on the same device. (Note that a device with different editions of a product, such as Office Pro and Office Pro Plus, would require an installed license for each edition to be compliant.)
- Not using license rules, the other automatically discovered products show 1 installation of Office 2012 Professional and 1 installation of Office 2010 Professional on the same device.
Approximately 600 Data Analytics products can display on the Products>Monitored page when you have Data Analytics installed. These products appear in the same list as the other automatically discovered products, so you can have one product showing up as two types—as a Data Analytics product and as the usual SLM-discovered product.
The Installed column shows the number of installed licenses a Data Analytics product needs to be compliant (versus the actual number of licenses installed on devices), and the Type column identifies the product as a Data Analytics type.
NOTE: You can't add Data Analytics products to a normalized product definition.
To create a Data Analytics product definition
- Click Products and click one of the product views (Monitored, Discovered, Ignored, or All).
- Find the product using the Search box or Select products filter.
- Select the product. On the toolbar, click Edit. The Edit product details dialog opens.
- Under Status, select Monitored or Ignored to list this product in one of the product views. (By default, a Data Analytics product is moved to the Monitored view.)
- Click Installation detection.
- If you want to detect products based on a Management Suite query, select Use query detection. Click Browse and select a query that you have created in the Management Suite network view. All devices that match the query will be returned as having a match for this product.
- Select Use file detection to detect products based on installed files. The filenames you add here determine how the product will be detected during inventory scans.
- Click the Add (+) button. In the Add files dialog, you can select an existing filename (one that exists in the inventory database), or you can click Define new file and specify the name, version number, and size. Repeat this for every product file you want to use. When you have finished, click OK.
- Select Match any or Match all to specify whether a minimum of one file must be found or all files must be found.
- Click Usage detection. You can add files that indicate the product is being used.
- Click the Add (+) button. In the Add files dialog, you can select an existing filename (one that exists in the inventory database), or you can click Define new file and specify the name, version number, and size. Repeat this for every product file you want to use to determine when the product is being used. When you have finished, click OK.
- Click Unit price. If the options can be edited, select a method for calculating the unit price:
- Select Use automatically calculated unit price if you have multiple licenses for the product with different unit prices. If you select this option, the unit price is an average of all unit prices from the different licenses.
- Select Specify a unit price if you want to use the same unit price for all calculations. For example, if you have two licenses with different unit prices for the same product and you want to use the higher price for calculations, you can specify that unit price here.
You can also set up license allocations or a reclamation process for a Data Analytics product. For more information, see Allocating licenses and chargeback costs to a computer group and Reclaiming product licenses.
Was this article useful?
The topic was:
Not what I expected
Copyright © 2017, Ivanti. All rights reserved.