Using the Diagnostics tool
The Diagnostics tool facilitates the troubleshooting of software distribution and patching tasks by providing convenient access to critical information in real time. Console users need the Diagnostics role in role-based administration to use the Diagnostics tool. For information on how to configure this, see Managing roles.
To access the Diagnostics tool, right-click a device in the network view and then click Diagnostics. Alternatively, in the Scheduled tasks pane, double-click the "Top failure codes" chart. You can also drag and drop devices from the network view into the Diagnostics tool, which opens in a separate window.
The Diagnostics toolbar has the following features:
Logs: From this drop-down menu, you can pull logs in real time from both the client and the core server. If you select logs based on a task, the tool will automatically pull the logs for the highlighted task. From the Client menu, you can choose to download all of the logs from the device as a zip file. Logs appear with highlighted syntax and are searchable. From the Core menu, you can download logs from the core server.
You can view a truncated version of the log within the Diagnostics tool if the log file is larger than 50 KB, or view the log in an external viewer. All sdclient return codes are linked to related content on the Ivanti Community website, which is especially helpful for diagnosing failed logs. If the log-viewing area has focus, pressing F5 will redo the last action and enable you to watch client log updates in real time.
- Real-time discovery: Discovers the device in real time and then verifies that it's available on the network and that Ivanti can communicate with it.
- Inventory: Open an Inventory window for the selected device.
- Apple mobile device commands: Opens a drop-down menu where you can restart, shutdown, or enable/disable lost mode on the selected device. (This option only appears if an Apple device is selected.)
- HTML Remote control: Opens an HTML Remote Control window for the selected device.
- View task client policy: Displays the client policy settings for the selected task, which is useful in debugging.
- View Security and Patch information: Displays detected vulnerabilities.
- Client inventory change history: Displays the newly downloaded items.
- Client task history: Displays a history of all of the tasks and their status.
- Enable remote file system access: Allows you, when working with devices that are running Windows 8 and later, to avoid a popup window requesting credentials if the username and password are the same. (Earlier versions of Windows do not support this feature.)
- Remote event viewer: Displays the selected device's Event Viewer for simplified troubleshooting using the logged-on user's credentials.
- Remote file system: Opens Windows Explorer to the C$ share of the selected device using the logged-on user's credentials.
- Synchronize policies: Manually kicks off a policy sync on the device.
- Re-run task on selected device: Runs the task again, overriding the settings specified in the local scheduler.
- Terminate process: Allows you to terminate a process on the device by entering a process ID and clicking OK. If you're viewing a client's running processes, you can highlight and right-click the process ID and stop it from the viewer.
- View local scheduler tasks: Displays the client local scheduler tasks.
- View running processes: Displays processes that are running on the device and highlights the Ivanti processes. Allows you to highlight the process ID and terminate it with a right-click option.
- View services: Displays the current state of all services installed on clients.
- View logged on user information: Displays the logon history of the selected device.
- Reboot: Sends a warning to the user and reboots the selected device within thirty seconds. The user can't cancel this process.
- Shutdown: Sends a warning to the user and shuts down the selected device within thirty seconds. The user can't cancel this process.
- Rename computer: Changes the selected device's Windows computer name and reboots the device so the name change takes effect.
- Search Ivanti Community web site: Takes text you've highlighted in the log file and searches the Ivanti Community to help find more information.
- Search the web for highlighted log file or the current error code (F3): Takes text you've highlighted in the log file and enters it into a web search to find more information. This is helpful when investigating return codes from common programs like Microsoft Office, or an MSI install that uses standard MSI return codes.
- Find: Provides real-time searching in the device list view.
- Export to CSV: Creates a CSV export of the clients and task lists.
- Reset column order: Resets the diagnostic window's column order.
- Refresh: Refreshes the content displayed in the Diagnostics tool window.