Asset Manager Workspace help
Use the Asset Manager Workspace to optimize software licensing and track hardware lifecycles. Visualize return on investment with charts and graphs, and click to drill down for detailed information.
Reclaim unused software licenses by automatically targeting devices that aren't using licensed and installed software. Detailed views show you which devices would be affected by the reclamation settings you configure and how much money could be saved.
Asset Manager tasks include:
The software optimization dashboard provides asset managers with the following information:
- Current state of compliance
- Money saved so far through product reclamation
- Save money by reclaiming unused products
- License optimization showing installed products that haven't been used in more than 30 days
- Top 5 out of compliance (installations and true-up costs)
Use information gathered by Ivanti Data Analytics to view hardware refresh dates and see what hardware will be due for a refresh. This information can help you plan and budget for upcoming hardware purchases. Adjust the expiration view timeframe by clicking on the chart's legend, for example, 90 days.
SLM product definitions include reclamation information. Product reclamation isn't enabled by default, but once it's configured it lets you uninstall a product from managed devices so that you can free up a license. For more information on setting up reclamation, see Reclaiming product licenses.
To reclaim licenses
- In the Asset's Manager's Software optimization view, click the Save money chart.
- On the Save money by reclaiming licenses page, click the product you want to reclaim.
- Use the increase savings slider to increase the unused reclamation time period.
- Select Enable reclamation.
- Select the software distribution package that reclaims the software.
- Click Save settings.
Asset Manager Workspace questions and answers
You need the following rights/scopes to view all available software and hardware asset data:
- Software License Monitoring view right
- Data Analytics Asset Control edit right
- All Devices scope
All software product and license data is pulled directly from Ivanti Management Suite’s software license monitoring (SLM) tool. To display in the Asset Manager Workspace, a product must be actively monitored in SLM with either a defined unit price or an associated license.
The graphs of this Workspace show the following:
- Current State of Compliance: Displays a high-level view of license compliance based on SLM calculations.
- Save Money: Displays never-used products with the most potential to save money through license reclamation (based on unit price).
- Money Saved: Displays products with reclaimed licenses and the money saved as a result.
- License Optimization: Displays products with the most licenses not used in 30+ days, regardless of unit price.
Top 5 Out of Compliance – Installations: Displays out-of-compliance products installed in your monitored environment.
Top 5 Out of Compliance – True Up Cost: Displays out-of-compliance products and what the true up cost would be to bring licensing into compliance. Costs are based on an environment where no licenses are being reclaimed. If reclamation is enabled, the overall true up cost decreases as licenses are reclaimed.
Currently, products set up as normalized in SLM are not supported in Money Saved but are supported in other graphs of this Workspace. All other products, including those set up as custom and Data Analytics products, are supported in all graphs of this Workspace.
The gauge is a conservative, high-level view of license compliance based on product and license data pulled directly from SLM for actively monitored products. You may have products installed on your network that aren’t monitored by SLM—those products will not be represented in the gauge or license compliance numbers.
The current state of compliance shows the following for your SLM-monitored products:
- Products: The total number of products that SLM is actively monitoring.
- Units installed: The number of licenses needed for compliance based on all actively monitored products.
- Unlicensed: The number of unlicensed installs based on all actively monitored products.
- Set up for Reclamation: The number of products set up for license reclamation in either the SLM console or this Workspace under Save Money.
Normalized products are supported in Current State of Compliance, Save Money, and License Optimization but not in Money Saved. So, in Current State of Compliance, if you have 6 products set up for reclamation and 4 of them are normalized, only 2 of those products can potentially display in Money Saved as products with reclaimed licenses.
Save Money displays never-used products with the most potential to save money through license reclamation (based on unit price). These products could be different from those displayed in License Optimization, which are based on the most licenses not used in 30+ days, regardless of unit price.
License reclamation occurs based on how it’s set up in SLM. If reclamation is scheduled to run weekly, any product licenses installed since the last reclamation will appear in Save Money. To make sure that more of a product’s licenses appear in Money Saved, change your default reclamation settings in SLM so that the process runs more frequently.
This occurs for several of reasons. First, only the top five products for reclaimed licenses display in Money Saved. Second, some of the licenses set up for reclamation may be for normalized products in SLM, which don’t display in Money Saved. Finally, products set up for license reclamation are just that—set up and ready for license reclamation to occur. If reclamation fails or is currently in progress, the result in Money Saved, which displays only successes, will be less than the number set up for reclamation. To view failed or in-progress license reclamations, you must access the SLM console.
When looking at the Asset Manager > Software Workspace in high-level mode, these numbers represent just the top 5 products shown in the graphs. When you open either gadget to take a closer look at the information, the number increases to include all products listed.
These numbers are estimated because unit prices for a product can change over time. You might have several licenses for the same product, all with different unit prices. To establish compliance costs, by default these gadgets calculate an average price based on purchase history.
Copyright © 2018, Ivanti. All rights reserved.