About the Xtraction web-based interface
The Xtraction web-based interface is made of the following interactive areas. Read more about these areas below:
This pane contains a folder structure of data-source content that you've set up as a dashboard, document, or report for display in the details pane. If an item requires you to enter parameters before opening, a prompt will display.
Displayed folders are determined by your access privileges. You can always see your personal content, plus any content designated as shared by its designer or the administrator.
Use the toolbox icons to access the various Xtraction tools. The icons that display depend on your access privileges. The full set of icons is as follows:
• – Returns you to the main page to view personal and shared content.
• – Opens the Dashboard Designer. Create real-time, interactive dashboards of data-source content (designer rights required).
• – Opens the Document Designer. Prepare documents of data-source content for export into formats such as Word, PDF, and so on (designer rights required).
• – Opens the Report Designer. Create custom reports based on standard SQL statements that run outside of the Xtraction component framework (designer rights required).
• – Opens the Scheduled Task list. Manage scheduled exports for documents and custom reports (enterprise designer or scheduler rights required).
• – Opens the Alerts viewer. Define notification alerts for status changes to data-source content (alert user rights required).
• – Opens the Select Data Source dialog. Select a new data source to view in the details pane.
• – Opens the Open dialog. Select saved content to view in the details pane.
• – Opens the Open dialog to enable a search for specific content.
• – Opens the Open dialog. Select and manage favorite folders and items.
• – Opens the Stored Reports dialog. Select from a list of stored custom reports.
Note that you can:
•Click the sidebar to collapse or expand the navigation pane.
•Change the width of the navigation pane by dragging the dividing line.
A display area that automatically refreshes and cycles through favorite content displays at set intervals.
To set up an Auto Refresh & Cycle list
1.Drag and drop an item from the navigation pane into the Auto Refresh & Cycle list.
2.Use the slider to set the refresh interval between 30 seconds and ten minutes.
3.Select Refresh Enabled to refresh each currently displayed item regularly.
4.Select Cycle Enabled to force Xtraction to cycle through the list and display each item in turn.
To remove an item from this list, click the icon. Right-click anywhere in Auto Refresh & Cycle, and select Clear Items to clear the whole list.
The main display area for a target data source's dashboard, document, or report content. You can view the content one of three ways, depending on the designer tool selected in the toolbox:
•Dashboards: Present content as an interactive dashboard using graphs, charts, lists, and images. The design canvas is made of distinct panes as specified by your dashboard layout. By dropping one component into each pane, you can assemble the content in a variety of ways. For details, see Dashboard Designer.
•Documents: Export content to MS Word or other formats to create presentations for staff or management. You can use a predefined Word template to customize the output. For details, see Document Designer .
•Reports: An advanced user can create reports by running standard SQL statements directly against the target data source. For details, see Report Designer.
Use this set of links to perform additional actions. Displayed links are determined by your access privileges.
Manage the following user settings via the Profile link:
•Reload folder structure: Reassess the list and return it to the initial display.
•Large display mode: Change the font size for dashboard and component titles to provide better viewing on large displays.
•Change password: Change your Xtraction password for local authentication. Note that you can't change a Windows-authentication password from within Xtraction.
•Settings: Change the time zone, language shown in the user interface, the default columns that display for list components, and variable values for viewing content (if the administrator has set up editable variables for you). Note that for the time zone, Xtraction displays data in the context of the zone set for each user; if you're traveling to a different location, or need to access data in the context of that location, this is where you set the new time zone.
When changing user-profile options, you may need to clear your cache and log in again before the new settings are applied.
Use these icons to perform certain actions on content in the details pane. Dashboards always display all available icons, but the set is limited by your access privileges. The full set includes the following:
• – Opens the content in edit mode.
• – Displays properties of the content.
• – Displays a summary sheet of each component within the dashboard or document.
• – Displays any notes that have been added about the content.
• – Exports content to a file format or to a PNG file as a screenshot.
• – Enables you to schedule document or report content for exporting at regular intervals.
• – Copies a link for the current content to the clipboard.
• – Opens a menu with filter options for dashboards and documents: edit filters, update date filters (for all components), clear temporary filters (for all components), or clear all filters.
• – Refreshes status and data displayed within the content. Note that if report content requires you to supply parameters before displaying, and you haven't previously supplied them, you'll be prompted to refresh.
• – For dashboards only. Add a dashboard to a new or existing Favorites folder.
• – For reports only. Enter or edit any parameters that the report may rely on, then refresh the displayed status and data.
Action icons for component displays
Each component within a display includes its own set of icons that enable you to perform certain actions.
The icons display at the top of the component header. Available icons depend on the component type. The full set includes the following:
• – Toggles the main action icons (hidden by default).
• – Exports content to a file format or to a PNG file as a screenshot.
• – Opens a menu of other formats for displaying the component type.
• – Clears all temporary filters from the component.
• – Displays properties of the component.
• – Displays any notes that have been added about the component.
• – When present, displays the full list of detailed records underlying the component.
Tell me about
Store content you want to view regularly in one or more named Favorites folders (accessed by clicking the icon in the sidebar). By selecting a folder as the default, the contained content will load on startup into the Auto Refresh & Cycle list for easy access.
To create a Favorites folder
1.In the sidebar, click the icon.
2.In the Open dialog, right-click the left panel and select Add Favorite Folder.
3.Enter a folder name and select if you want to make it the default. The default folder loads on startup into the Auto Refresh & Cycle list and is marked with an asterisk (*) in the Open dialog.
4.Right-click any folder in the list to edit, delete, and set/clear as the default.
After creating a Favorites folder, you can add dashboards, documents, and reports to it one of two ways:
To add favorites via the details-pane header
1.In the header of the loaded content, click the icon.
2.Select an existing Favorites folder to add this content to, or create a new folder if needed.
To add favorites via Auto Refresh & Cycle
1.Build a list of content items in the Auto Refresh & Cycle list. For details, see 3. Auto Refresh & Cycle above.
2.Right-click in the Auto Refresh & Cycle list and select Save As Favorite.
3.In the Save Favorites dialog, select an existing Favorites folder or create a new one. Selecting an existing Favorites folder will overwrite existing favorites contained within it.