As a Global or Space administrator you can perform the following actions in your space:
- Add Apps in your space
- Configure Apps in your space
- Delete Apps in your space
- Manage iBooks in your space
A new Space column has been added to the App Catalog page and the iBooks page to identify the spaces where the app is associated. The Space column is only shown when there is more than one space that is available. The Space column shows the spaces name where an app configuration is available.
- Only the Global administrator can manage and distribute apps utilizing Apple licenses by applying or removing a label. The Space administrator cannot use any manage Apple license functionality.
- Only the Global administrator can add or edit a Managed App configuration of an app that is included in the Global space. The Space administrator cannot modify the Managed App Configuration of an app.
- Only the Global administrator can has the ability to add or modify the Android Enterprise restrictions. The Space administrator cannot modify the Android Enterprise restrictions.
- Only the Global administrator can add, edit or delete a web app. The Space administrator cannot create, edit or delete new web apps, but the Space administrator can apply or remove labels for web apps.
The Global administrator can enable the Distribute app catalog role for a Space administrator. This gives the Space administrator the ability to manage apps in the app catalog within their space. They have the permission to add, edit, or delete an app.
To enable the ability to manage the app catalog for the Space administrator :
Select a Space administrator.
Click Actions > Edit Roles to display the Edit Roles screen.
Select the Distribute App or Import and edit app check box in the App Management drop-down menu.
To make an app available to Android Enterprise, you must have Android Enterprise registered on Ìvanti EPMM. Only the Global administrator can make an app available to Android Enterprise container. The Space administrator cannot apply labels or change the priority and modify the Android Enterprise restrictions.
- Select a space using the drop-down menu on the right.
- Go to Apps > App Catalog.
- If needed, click Add+ to display the available App Catalogs to add an app to the space.
- Select an app catalog and use the search function to find the app.
- Click Continue to display the app Preview page.
- Optionally, use the Category drop-down to add a new category for the app.
- Click Next.
- Choose whether or not to display the app in the Apps@Work catalog or add the app in the featured banner. Apps@Work apps have the same functionality in the Global space or in a subspace.
- Optionally, select to apply the Per App VPN for the Label in the Per App VPN Settings section.
Managing the App Catalog
You can define the Global or Space administrator permission to manage apps by checking Manage App, Distribute app, or Import and edit app in the App Management section of the Edit Roles page.
- Go to Admin > Admins and click the check for an Admin.
- Click Actions > Edit Roles.
- Scroll down to the App Management section and select the permission to grant to the Admin.
Importing Apps into a Space
With the current updates, the Space administrator can import an app. If an administrator tries to upload an app that is already in either active or global space, an error message is displayed. If the administrator uses Quick Import then the re-import option is displayed.
If the app exists in a different subspace, but not in the Global space, then the Space administrator can import the app and configure it for the space.
If the app already exists in the Global Space and has a global app configuration applied, the space administrator can click on the app and use the Save As button to add it to the subspace and configure it in the subspace.
To import an app:
- As a Global or Space administrator, go to Apps > App Catalog.
- If needed, select an administrator space using the drop-down menu in the upper right corner or log into your space.
- Click Quick Import > (select the appropriate App store).
- Enter any part of an application name or bundle ID.
- Click Search. Search results from the app store you selected are displayed.
- Click Import, at the end of the line, to add the app to the App Catalog.
You can also re-import the app if it already exists in another space.
- Click X to close the dialog box.
Uploading a new In-house App into a Space
You can upload an in-house app that does not already exist in the Global space or in any other space. Also, if the app exists in a different subspace, but not in Global space, then the Space administrator can upload the app and configure it for the space.
The provisioning profile will be shared across spaces. If a provisioning profile is uploaded for an application by the Space Admin, the profile will be shared across all spaces using that application.
APNS certificate is space-specific. For an application, every space can upload their own APNS certificate.
Use the Import procedure to import the app. To upload a new app please see, Updating Apps in a Space
Editing Apps in a Space
A Global or Space administrator can use the Save As button to load a copy of the current app configuration to edit and save the new configuration in their space. A Global or Space administrator can upload an in-house app into the space and edit the configuration to produce a unique app configuration for the subspace. The Space administrator will still be able to see the app configuration for the same app that exists in the Global space. If an app has a Global app configuration, a Space app configuration and a Label criteria (for example, iOS) is applied to the Global app configuration, then the devices in that subspace will receive the space app configuration even without applying the label in space. Use the following procedure to edit an app in a space.
- In App Details page all the spaces where the app config is available will be listed on the left hand side.
- Select a space name from the list on the left to display the corresponding app configuration details.
- If the current space is same as selected space, then the user will have an option to edit the app configuration by clicking the Edit button.
Administrators can only edit their own space configuration and are not allowed to edit other space configurations.
- If the app does not have configuration in current space then Space administrator can do a Save As of any other listed space configuration. Select the app and click Save As to make the appropriate changes to the app configurations.
The Space administrator cannot change the name of the app or the app description. The Space administrator cannot do a Save As from an app imported in another subspace.
Deleting Apps from a Space
A Global or Space administrator can delete an app from their own space. A Space administrator can delete an app in the subspace, but the app will not be deleted from other subspaces under the control of other Space administrator. If the app also exists in the Global space with a global app config it will not be deleted from the global space. Only the Global administrator can delete a global app and the global app config. The label association of an app is removed when the parent configuration is removed.
When an app is removed from a space, the app and the app configuration specific to that space is removed immediately. The app will be removed from the catalog only when the last space configuration is removed. When the space configuration of an app is removed and the global space has a configuration for that app:
The applied labels for that app in the space will not be removed unless there are no configurations for the app in the global space.
The devices in that space will receive the global configuration of that app.The last configuration removed can either be the Global configuration or the Space configuration.
The user can select multiple apps to delete. The User will be allowed to delete the apps only if all the apps selected have a configuration in that space.
To delete an app from a space:
- Select the app or apps you want to delete and click Actions drop-down menu.
- Click Delete. A confirmation dialog is displayed.
- Click Yes to delete the app you selected.
The app will be deleted from the device. APNS certificate and the provisioning profile is deleted as well. All the different versions of the same In-House App uploaded to different spaces share the same APPCONNECTCONFIG, APPCONNECTPOLICY and PROVISIONINGPROFILE.
Managing Apps in the Android Enterprise container
The Global administrator controls which apps are available in the Android Enterprise container and whether or not to make an app available in another space.
- In the Android Enterprise page, select the Install this app for Android Enterprise checkbox. This selection cannot be changed by the Space Admin.
- The Space administrator cannot change any of the other configuration settings of the app in the Android Enterprise container including Auto Update this App.
- The Space administrator can see the Android Enterprise restrictions added by the Global administrator but can not edit or delete them.
- If the Space administrator distributes an app it must be as an Android Enterprise app or Windows Business Store Portal (BSP) app.
- If the Global administrator deletes an app then any copies of the app must be changed so that it is no longer an Android Enterprise app.
Managing Windows Business Store Portal apps in the Delegated Administration spaces
Using and managing Windows Business Store Portal (BSP) apps follow the same rules and restrictions as other apps in the Global administrator or Space administrator environment. For information on enabling and using Windows BSP apps see “Business Store Portal” in the Ivanti EPMM Device Management Guide for Windows Devices.
Uploading content to iBooks iOS app
As a Global or Space administrator you can upload content to an iBooks iOS app. To upload content to iBooks:
- Go to the Admin Portal.
- Go to Apps > iBooks.
- Click Add+ to display the Add Content page.
- Use the radio button to select the Document Type.
- Use the Browse ... button to upload the file.
- Enter the Title and Author.
- Use the radio buttons to select a file format.
- Click Save.
You can enable or disable automatic updates for an app within a space. When auto-update is enabled, the description, name and screenshots will be updated automatically.
If automatic updates are enabled in the global space, the name and description of the app will be updated in the subspaces as well, even if auto-update is disabled in the subspace by the Space Admin, as these fields are shared across all spaces. To update apps in a space:
- As a Global or Space administrator, go to the Admin Portal. Use the drop-down menu in the upper right to select the space you administer.
- Go to Apps and select the App.
- Click Edit.
- In the Advanced Settings section of Managed App Settings, select the Automatically update app when a new version is available checkbox. This is available to the Global administrator only.
The device will be notified when an app version update is available from the spaces where this attribute is enabled.