You can configure a mandatory in-house app to limit its installation on devices to a specific version of the app, even if newer or older versions of the same app .ipa are uploaded to the Ivanti EPMM’s app catalog. You can also ensure that any version of the same app is installed, regardless of which version. The option called Enforce this version for Mandatory Apps is available in the App Catalog app wizard.
The version enforcement feature is supported only with regular (non-AppConnect) in-house apps. It does not apply to AppConnect apps or Google Play apps.
Use the version enforcement feature to:
- Ensure devices have the in-house app installed, regardless of version number.
- Lock users to a particular version of the [email protected] app. This applies to organizations that install [email protected] as an in-house app instead of installing it from Google Play.
- Ensure users do not upgrade to a new version of an in-house app while the newer version is still undergoing testing.
- Downgrade users to a previous version of an in-house app.
You can enable or disable enforcing a specific app version for an in-house app on an Android device when you upload the app to Ivanti EPMM.
- In the Ivanti EPMM Admin Portal, go to Apps > App Catalog.
- Click Add+.
- Click In-House.
- Click Browse... to select your in-house app. (Must not be an AppConnect app.)
- Fill out the app wizard as needed; under App Installation Settings, select Enforce this version for Mandatory Apps. If this check box is not selected, then enforcing a specific app version will not apply. See: Enforcing an app version when you have uploaded multiple versions to Ivanti EPMM.
- Finish filling out the app wizard as needed. Click Finish.
- Select the app in the App Catalog.
- Click Actions > Apply to Labels.
- In the Apply to Labels dialog box, select the check box next to the app's name.
- Click in the Mandatoryfield, a drop-down displays. Selecting Yes makes the selected app mandatory; leaving it to the default Nomakes the app optional. If the Mandatory field is not set to Yes, the latest version of the app will not be enforced.
- Click Apply.
If you have multiple versions of the same mandatory in-house .ipa file uploaded to Ivanti EPMM, you may wish to ensure one of the following scenarios:
- Devices always get the latest version of the app. (App updates are forced)
- Devices have the app installed, regardless of the version number. (App updates are not forced)
- Devices remain on an older version of the app.
- Devices are downgraded to an older version of the app.
Assuming your in-house app has versions 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 in order from oldest to newest, and all three are uploaded to Ivanti EPMM, use the settings described in the following table to achieve the desired results.
Note that having a label means that same label is applied both to the device and to the app. If a device is assigned to many labels, but at least one label has the Mandatory field set to Yes, then the device will have that app as mandatory.
Label and app settings (in App Catalog)
Ensure that any version of the app is installed on the device
For app version 1.0: Enforce this version is not selected
For app version 2.0: Enforce this version is not selected
For app version 3.0: Enforce this version is not selected
Label must be applied to any or all versions of the app.
Allow only version 2.0
For app version 1.0: Enforce this version: irrelevant
For app version 2.0: Enforce this version is selected
For app version 3.0: Enforce this version: irrelevant
Label must be applied to app version 2.0 only.
Label must not be applied to all other app versions.
Ensure the latest version is always installed
Enforce this version is selected on the most recent app version (3.0).
Enforce this version is irrelevant on older app versions (1.0, 2.0).
Label must be applied to latest app version (3.0)
Label may be applied to all app versions.
Downgrade users to version 1.0
App version 1.0: Enforce this version is selected; Label is applied.
App version 2.0: Label is removed.
App version 3.0: Label is removed.
Mandatory apps can be silently installed and uninstalled on some devices. When not silently installed, the device user is prompted to install or uninstall a mandatory app.