Who (Run Book Job)
At Run Books, when configuring the settings of a Run Book, use the Who area on the Properties tab to specify which Agents or Teams should execute the Run Book Job.
Select the following:
one or more Agents
one or more Teams
- A Job can be executed by multiple Agents or Teams.
- Use the List View or Tree View to browse to an item on the Agents or Teams tab.
- Type the search criteria in the Search field and click Search to search on name and/or description.
- Filter the Agent results further on status (All, Online and licensed Agents, Offline Agents).
- Select an item to add it to your selection and click OK to save it.
As an alternative to selecting Agents from the selection window, you can add multiple Agents at once by typing or copy-/pasting from a semi-colon (";") separated list into the Who field:
- First, click to enable typing or pasting
- Then, click to validate your input
- Optionally, click to return to the regular selection window (without validation)
Use the following additional options:
Ask during Run Book scheduling
Use this option to leave the choice of which Team(s) or Agent(s) should perform the Job to the moment when the Run Book is scheduled.
- Any Agent(s) or Team(s) that you specify at that moment will then be used for all Run Book Jobs for which no Agents or Teams were specified (i.e. if your Run Book contains two Run Book Jobs that use this option, you can only specify Agent(s) or Team(s) once).
- Use case: This is useful if a Run Book Job contains a Task to install a specific application or update, but it is not yet known which Agent should install the application or update.
Run on one of the specified Agents
Use this option to execute the Run Book Job on a random Agent.
- Use case: This is useful if it does not matter which Agent executes the Job, as long as it is executed. More information
For example, for some Tasks, such as Exchange Tasks and Active Directory Tasks, it does not matter by which Agents they are executed.
When selecting the option, Ivanti Automation will randomly select an Agent in the following order:
- Any online Agent that is not busy executing another Job
- Any online Agent
- Any offline Agent
Combining this option with Schedule offline Agents for next boot or Use Wake-on-LAN when job starts only make sense if you already know that all specified Agents are offline.
Use Run Book Parameter
Use this option to parameterize the Who field with the parameter $[RunBookWho]. The parameter $[RunBookWho] will specify which Team(s) or Agent(s) should perform the Job. It may, for example, contain a number of Agents or users, separated by a semi-colon.
- Use case: This functionality is particularly useful when using the Run Book in a Ivanti Identity Director service: it allows for a scenario in which the Agents that should execute the Run Book Job can be selected from a list during the delivery of the Ivanti Identity Director service.
- Select or create a Run Book parameter and specify how it should be used:
- Select to select Agents on computer name to execute the Run Book Job by Agents running on the computers that match the provided computer name(s). Alternatively, you can also provide Team names. Separate multiple entries with a semi-colon (;).
- Select to select Agents on active Console user to execute the Run Book Job by online Agents running on computers on which Console users are logged on whose names match the provided user names. Because Console users can be logged on at more than one machine, the Run Book may be executed by multiple Agents. The input format of the parameter is a user name (for example demo\jsmith or root).
In Ivanti Identity Director, this allows for scenarios in which a Console user can request a service that provides him with something on the computer on which he is currently logged on.
- Select to select Agents on last Console user to execute the Run Book Job by Agents running on computers on which the last Console user logged on. Because Console users can be logged on at more than one machine, the Run Book may be executed by multiple Agents.
- Select to select most recent Agent on last Console user to execute the Run Book Job by the Agent running on the most recent computer on which the last Console user logged on.
- The availability of the option Use Run Book Parameter depends on the global setting RunBookWho. If also Enhanced security is enabled, you are only allowed to schedule the Run Book with the parameter $[RunBookWho] when using a login with Ivanti Automation Authentication.
- The option can be used in combination with the option Run on one of specified Agents.
- The options based on Console users do not apply to Agents running on terminal servers.