- If you select Force mandatory default printer (reset default printer during each logon), the advanced options in the user's "Printing Preferences" will be disabled. Although the end user will be able to set a different printer as default within a session, the centrally configured default printer will be reset at the start of each new session.
- Allow users to choose default printer per location, based on:
- IP network address for all Agents - When a default printer is set in a user session, it is stored by Workspace Control based on IP network address.
- IP network address for laptop Agents, ClientName for all other Agents - When a default printer is set in a user session, for laptops, it is stored by Workspace Control based on IP network address, and for workstations based on Client name.
- Locations and Devices (use Zones for location based printing) - When a Zone that has been configured for location based printing applies to a Workspace Control session, the user will be allowed to select a default printer for that specific location. For every following Workspace Control session to which this same Zone applies, the previously selected printer is set as default. Enabling this option allows the configuration of location based printing both for managed and unmanaged printers.
Please note, that at least one Zone for location based printing must apply to a user session to enable the user to select a default printer for that location. Zones can be configured for location based printing by enabling the new option Use this Zone for location based printing on the Properties tab of the Zone (at User Context > Locations and Devices). It is recommended that Zones for location based printing are configured in a way, that a user only belongs to one such Zone at a time. If a user belongs to multiple Zones for location based printing at the same time, this may lead to unexpected behavior. Per session only one Zone for location based printing will be taken into account, but the Zone may differ for a next session.
At Diagnostics > Event Log, location based printing entries will be logged (i.e. Zone used for location based printing, Other Zone(s) configured for location based printing, No Zone configured for location based printing).
- Also connect default / all printer(s) using VDX plugin also connects printers from the remote session in your local desktop. This allows, for instance to use a printer from your virtual desktop on your local desktop or in an application that is configured as a workspace extension (i.e. that runs from your local desktop). If Connect default printer using VDX plugin is enabled, the default printer of your virtual desktop will be used as default printer in your workspace extensions. If this option is not selected, the default printer of your local desktop will be used.
Disconnect network printers:
- Before logging off, Workspace Control will clean the user profile from user-connected and disabled printers. If you clear the check box Disconnect network printers before logging off, these settings will be preserved in the user's profile.
- Before logging on or on reconnect, Workspace Control will clean the user profile from user-connected and disabled printers. If you clear the check box Disconnect network printers before logging on or on reconnect, these settings will be preserved in the user's profile.
- Skip unmanaged printers: Within Workspace Control, an unmanaged printer is a printer that does not have a managed equivalent in a Workspace Control session. If both a managed and an unmanaged version of a printer exist, the unmanaged version will be replaced by a managed version after logging on. When this option is enabled, only network printers that are managed by Workspace Control will be disconnected before logon/logoff, all other printers will not be touched. The advantage of keeping unmanaged printers is, for instance, when you have defined an unmanaged printer you only use at home, you do not have to reconnect this printer each time you need it.
- On reconnect causes Workspace Control to reprocess all Network Printers, to determine which printers should be connected when a previously disconnected terminal session is reconnected.
- On session refresh causes Workspace Control to reprocess all Network Printers, to determine which printers should be connected when a Workspace refresh occurs.
- When network connectivity changes helps workstations and laptops to automatically reconnect printers when switching from offline network connection to online. To work properly, the checkbox Do not refresh Workspace when network connectivity changes at Composition > Desktop > Lockdown and Behavior must be unchecked.
- When configuring a network printer, optionally enter a note in the Administrative note field. This is useful to differentiate the Printers that you configured.
- Fast connect allows users to start their sessions faster. The Fast Connect option is not available for Printers that are configured for an application.
- When selecting the option Fast connect, the option Wait for task to finish before continuing becomes unavailable, because driver checks and permission checks will first be performed when the user actually connects to the printer.
- When clearing the option Wait for task to finish before continuing the option Fast connect becomes unavailable, because the task will be performed asynchronously.
- When specifying whether printing preferences should be preserved, if you select Default, the default settings as configured in the node Composition > User Settings will be applied. If you select Never save or Always save, this will overrule the default settings as configured in the User Settings node. The option Set as default printer for Printers is mandatory when configuring a printer for an application, but this will not reset the user's preference. The next time the user logs on, the preferred default printer will be restored. The user will also be notified of this event by the "Printing preferences" tool.
- The option Failover allows you to configure a backup printer that the user can connect to if it is not possible to connect to the primary printer, for example because the specified printer driver is unknown or if the print server is unavailable.
- The Required connection state field specifies the required connection state that allows the setting to be applied. For example, this allows you to configure a setting that will only be applied if a computer has an on-line connection state.
- Click the Access Control tab to configure the Access Control criteria of the Printer.
- Click the Workspace Control tab to configure to which Workspace Container(s) the Printer applies.
- When a session starts, the applicable printers are set in the order in which they appear in this list. If necessary, change the order to ensure the correct processing.
Sometimes the message "Composing default printer" appears in the Startup screen, although a default printer was defined. This is caused by the fact that the workstation cannot access the printer due to missing user credentials. In Workspace Control user credentials cannot be defined for printers. A possible workaround is to define a drive mapping to the same network location (or subdirectory) with the proper user credentials. Any drive letter can be assigned. This will speed up the connection to the printer considerably.