Configure data connections
In the Management Portal at Data Model > Data Connections, use data connections to synchronize data from an external source with your environment.
Before you can synchronize data, you need to configure Data Sources in the Setup and Sync Tool. A Data Source defines the external source of the data that you want to synchronize. This can be Microsoft Active Directory, a CSV file or a database. A data connection uses this Data Source to synchronize the external data with your environment. For example, if the external source is a CSV file that contains data about employees, you can configure a data connection to synchronize the employee ID and full name of each employee only.
- Because the Management Portal is web based, you cannot use local paths of files in Data Sources (e.g. C:\...) . Instead, specify the host name of the specific server that stores the file (e.g: \\VM-WIN2012\Datasource\HRfile.csv) and the credentials to access this location.
- You can configure data connections for:
- Organizational context
- Organizational attributes
- If you edit and existing data connection and then synchronize it again, any previous data that you synchronized with the data connection is deleted. For example, if the original data connection synchronized organizational context related to Department, and you change the data connection so it now synchronizes organizational context related to Location, the organizational context related to Department is deleted.
- If you delete a data connection, you have the option to also delete all related objects. For example, if you delete a people data connection and choose to delete all related objects, ALL people related to the data connection are marked for deletion. If you choose to keep these objects, only their relation is removed.
- The following restrictions apply concerning administrative roles:
- To preview data in the Data Source, you need Modify permissions to the data connection and Read or Modify permissions to the Data Source.
- To synchronize a data connection, you need Modify permissions to the data connection and Read or Modify permissions to the Data Source.
- Multiple data connections are synchronized in this order:
- Organization data connections
- Organizational attribute data connections
- People data connections
- Classification data connections
- To generate a command line that you can use to synchronize data connections without using the Setup and Sync Tool, select the relevant data connection(s), right-click this selection and select Generate command line. This copies the command line to your clipboard, after which you can use it in, for example an Ivanti Automation Job.