Create PPM Portfolios
A Portfolio is a collection of Projects or Programs or other work grouped together to facilitate effective management of work to meet Strategic Business Objectives.
While Portfolios have a simple workflow with statuses of Draft, Active, and Closed, there is no formal approval process. The statuses let you decide how to manage review and implementation of the Portfolios. Once a Portfolio is closed, it will no longer appear as an option in Demand and Program creation.
To create a PPM Portfolio:
- From the CSM Desktop Client or CSM Browser Client menu bar, select New > New PPM Portfolio.
- Complete the Portfolio details:
- Provide a name and description.
- (Optional) Select a Portfolio Manager and Primary Strategic Objective.
The Primary Strategic Objective choice will autofill the Strategic Objective field.
- (Optional) Choose the assigned team and assigned to.
- Complete the Portfolio budget:
- (Optional) Set a Portfolio budget, and select term start and end dates.
- Once the Portfolio is active, the Total Budget Committed field will reflect a sum of the budgets of accepted Projects.
- Total budget remaining is the Program budget minus total budget committed.
- Select Save.
When you move, advance, or close a Portfolio and there are linked Programs, Demands, or Projects still open, a prompt displays to close the linked records or move them to another Portfolio before the current Portfolio can be changed or closed.
When a Portfolio is in the Active phase, you can use the form arrangement to track the child Demands, Programs, and Projects. The issues and risks are Portfolio-level. There is also a tab for the parent Strategic Objective.
To see the most comprehensive numbers for the Portfolio, use the My Portfolio dashboard. You can also use the My Portfolio dashboard to see whether a proposed Demand can fit into the Portfolio budget.