CMDB Design Ideas
CSM provides OOTB CI workflows with all the items you need to successfully create CIs. Use these workflows, or tailor them to meet organizational needs. Design ideas include:
- Fields: Change which fields are required and when, which fields support Rich Text, and more.
- View Counter: Incrementally track the number of times a record is viewed by a customer or user in the Desktop Client, Browser Client, and CSM Portal. View counter functionality is configured in CSM Administrator.
- Statuses: Change CI statuses and/or the One-Step Actions that are initiated when a CI enters each status.
- Form: Change the form theme (background and text color), tab order, and size. Change the threshold and/or colors for Open Incidents logged against a CI.
- Actions and One-Step Actions: Create Actions/One-Step Actions to automate the workflow.
- Email: Change the email templates that are used to create the emails sent by One-Step Actions or Automation Processes. Or, disable/change when and to whom notifications are sent (example: Send a notification to computer owners when their CI Record changes).
- Field Value Options: Use Table Management to add/edit Lookup Object values for use in drop-downs (example: Computer Manufacturer).
- Visualizations: Add, remove, or edit Upstream or Downstream Relationship options.
Detailed step-by-step instructions for the above is beyond the scope of this document.