Map an Existing Business Object to External Data
Use an existing Business Object to establish external connections and import external data directly into both the Business Object and CSM. The imported data can be edited within CSM or updated via Automation Processes.
An existing Business Object cannot link to external data. To link external data to a Business Object and manipulate the data from the external source, refer to Create an External Business Object to Link to External Data.
To establish an external connection to a Business Object and import external data:
- In the CSM Administrator main window, click the Blueprints category, and then click Create a New Blueprint or open an existing Blueprint.
The Blueprint Editor opens, showing the Object Manager in its Main Pane. The Object Manager lists the existing Business Objects.
- Select an existing Business Object (example: Incident).
- Click the Map to external data task. Or select New Object, and then New external business object task. The External Data Wizard opens.
The Import vs. Linked page opens.
The Link to Data option is available only when creating a new Business Object. Connecting to an existing Business Object must be performed with an import.
- Click the Import Data radio button.
The Data Source page opens.
- Click the ellipses button. The External Connection manager opens. Select an existing External Database or click the New button to create a new External Connection.
The External Table to Map page opens, listing the available tables the selected External Database.
- Select a table to import.
The Fields to Map page opens.
- Map fields from the selected table to a field in the new External Business Object:
- Click the Add button.
The Map Field from External Table manager opens, listing the available fields based on the selected External Database and External Table.
- Select an external field (example: Created By).
- Select an existing Cherwell Service Management field to map the external field to or create a new field (example: Last Modified).
- Repeat mapping process for all desired fields.
- Click the Add button.
The Unique Key and Timestamp Fields page opens. Values in the Unique Key and Timestamp drop-downs are based on the fields that were mapped in Step 11.
- Choose a Unique Key and Timestamp field:
- Field that Holds Unique Key drop-down: Displays the external field chosen from the previous page. This field becomes the unique key, which is used during imports to ensure records in the field are updated if they already exist in Cherwell Service Management.
- Last Modified Date/Time drop-down: Select a value from the drop-down to dictate when to update the unique key field. If selecting a Last Modified Date/Time value, it is recommended to add SQL indexes to these fields after configuring the External Data Import (Business Object Editor > Business Object Properites > Databases > Add Index button > Select Last Modified Date/Time values ). Doing so ensures optimal import performance.
The Summary page opens and displays details established during the setup process.
The Business Object's Properties window opens, showing current and editable Business Object properties. An external data page displays External Connection details established in the External Data Wizard.
- Click OK to close the Properties window.
- (Optional for Supporting Objects) If needed, create a Relationship between the newly created Supporting Objects and the Major Object they support.
- Publish the Blueprint (File>Publish Blueprint) to commit the changes, or save the Blueprint (File>Save Blueprint) to continue making other changes.