Using Language Packs to Translate Portal Strings
Use Language Packs to translate strings for Portal Sites. Once you apply translated Language Packs for enabled cultures, you can override startup actions, login actions, and custom Search Widgets for each language.
There are two types of Portal strings:
- Content: User-defined labels.
- Platform: System resource strings for error messages, toolbar definitions, menus, etc.
To fully translate Portal Sites, you must create at least two Language Packs for each culture: one for content strings and one for platform strings. The content Language Pack can include translations for multiple Sites.
To translate content for CSM Portal Sites:
- Verify that you have Portal Sites created and configured.
- Verify that cultures used by your Portal Sites are enabled for your system. If cultures are not enabled, the languages will not be shown in the language selector.
- Verify security settings for cultures.
- Create two Language Packs with these scopes for each culture:
- Portal Content Strings
- Portal Platform Strings
- Translate the strings for each Language Pack using the Language Pack Editor or an external vendor.
- Apply both Language Packs.
- Verify that the Show Language Selector on application bar check box is selected for each translated Portal Site. See Define Localization Properties for a Site.
- Override the startup action, login action, and custom Search Widget for each Site translation, as needed. See Override Site Options for Each Language.