Configure service templates
A service template is a pre-configured service that can be used in Automation and Workspace Control to create new services directly from their Consoles.
After you have configured service templates, you need to make them available in a service publication. This is a container in which you can specify the service templates and/or services that you want to be available for use in a specific Automation or Workspace Control environment.
You can use a default service template, or convert an existing service to a service template.
New installations of Identity Director contain the service category Templates. This category contains two default service templates:
- Run Book Template: Use this template in Automation to publish Automation Run Books as new services.
- Workspace Template: Use this template in Workspace Control to create new services from the Console.
You can only convert a service to a new service template if:
- The service has no subscribers
- The service is not already part of a service publication
- The service is not referenced by other services as a qualification restriction or dependency or in their service attributes
To convert a service to a service template:
- At Entitlement Catalog, click the tile of the service that you want to convert to a template.
- On the Properties tab of the service window, under Identity Director, select Use as template.
- If the service is currently unused, the options Show in My Store, Show in Delegated Administration Panel and Enable transactions are grayed out and no longer apply. You can only use service templates in service publications; they are no longer available in the Web Portal, and can no longer be referenced by other services.
- If the service is currently in use, you need to duplicate the service first and create a template from the duplicate.
- Make any changes to the configuration of the template.
- If you configure a service template for Automation, make sure the first action is an Approve workflow action. This provides extra security for new services. For example, if you use the template to create a service that invokes a Run Book to delete users in Active Directory, the Approve workflow action gives you the opportunity to cancel the service before the Run Book is executed.
- Click Save.
Convert a template to a service again
- You can only convert a template to a service if it is not part of a service publication.
- To convert a template to a service again, clear Use as template. After this, you can make the service available again in the Web Portal and work with it as before.