There are a couple of reasons for downloading patches in advance of a patch deployment:
- If you are using one or more distribution servers to store patches you wish to deploy, you must download the patches to the console's patch download directory before you can copy them to the desired distribution servers. See Synchronizing Servers for more details.
- It will speed the deployment process. The act of deploying one or more patches will automatically download those patches not already resident in the patch download directory, but downloading them in advance will make the deployment process much faster.
Security Controls provides a number of different ways to download patches.
- From within the top pane of Patch View, select the desired patches, right-click the patches, and then select Download > Patches.
- From within the middle pane of Scan View, right-click the selected patches and select Download Selected.
- From within the middle pane of Machine View, right-click the selected patches and select Download Selected.