You can synchronize email, contacts, calendar, and tasks with mail apps on devices managed by Ivanti EPMM. To enable synchronization, you need to authorize apps to use Google APIs for communication between servers without accessing user information. This requires a service account that makes API calls on behalf of an app, as well as credentials that authenticate the identity of the app.
You create these credentials in the Google Developers Console, and then upload the credentials both to the Google Admin Console and Ivanti EPMM. You can then configure an Exchange setting to synchronize Google email data (including email, contacts, calendar, and tasks) with managed devices. You can alternatively choose to synchronize only some email data, such as calendar and contacts only, or email alone.
The Exchange setting also allows you to control the Google Apps password through Ivanti EPMM.
Synchronizing Google Apps data involves the following main steps:
- Using OAuth to enable access to Google APIs
- Uploading OAuth credentials to the Google Admin Console
- Linking Google Apps credentials with Ivanti EPMM
- Setting up your Exchange setting for access to Google Apps data
- Renewing the Google Apps password for a given set of users (optional)
Before you begin
You need a Google administrator account.
Review the following Google documentation:
- Develop Admin Console solutions
- Credentials, access, security, and identity - API Console Help
- API Console Help > Service Accounts
You must login to the Google Developers Console to enable access to Google APIs from clients using OAuth.
For detailed information, see the Google documentation here:
- Login to https://console.developers.google.com
- In the Google Developers Console, create a new project.
- Enable the Admin SDK and/or APIs.
- Create credentials for the OAuth 2.0 client.
- Create a consent form.
Enter the relevant information, as shown in the following table.
Select web application.
Enter the name of the iOS app.
Cannot contain a wildcard (http://*.example.com) or a path (http://example.com/subdir).
Authorized redirect URIs
Must have a protocol. Cannot contain URL fragments or relative paths. Cannot be a public IP address.
- Download the credentials in the form of a JSON file for the web client.
You must now upload to the Google Admin Console the JSON file you created in Using OAuth to enable access to Google APIs. The JSON files contains the credentials you created for client access.
For detailed information, see the Google documentation here:
- Go to https://admin.google.com and login with your administrator ID.
- Enable API access.
- Enter the client name and API scope.
- Authorize the JSON file so that clients may access it.
You must upload the JSON credentials file you downloaded from the Google Developers console to link your Google credentials with Ivanti EPMM. For more information, see Using OAuth to enable access to Google APIs.
If the Google password has expired, iOS will not necessarily be aware of the expiration, and synchronization could fail. Manually regenerate the Google password from the Google Developers Console.
- In the Admin Portal, go to Services > Google.
- In the Google Admin Username field, enter your Google administrator email address.
Next to the JSON File field, select Browse.
- Select the JSON file you downloaded from the Google Developers Console.
The results are displayed in the lower left of the page.
- Go to Settings > Preferences.
- Scroll down to the Google Apps API section.
- Select Password Settings.
Configure password settings as follows:
- Password length must be: Enter the minimum password length.
Require a password change every: Check the box and enter the number of days after which device users must change their password.
Password expiration and password length values should match whatever is configured in Google. For example, if you configured a 90 day expiration period in Google with a password length of 8 to 90, then you would configure the same expiration and password length values in Ivanti EPMM.
- Select Save.
- Optionally, view the Google Apps account status by selecting View Account.
Create an Exchange setting to connect Ivanti EPMM to Google servers, such that device users will be able to access their email, calendar, and contacts. Apply the Exchange setting to the relevant labels, such that Ivanti EPMM pushes the new setting to the correct devices. The Exchange setting must include the Google Apps Password flag, which tells Ivanti EPMM to generate a Google Apps password and send it to Google servers.
When sending an event to a device, Ivanti EPMM checks whether the Google Apps Password flag is toggled on or off. If a Google Apps password is required, but the password has not yet been generated and sent to Google, then Ivanti EPMM sends the password to Google first before sending the Exchange setting to the device.
If Ivanti EPMM cannot find a user on Google, Ivanti EPMM logs an error, and does not push the Exchange setting again.
Under some circumstances, you may need to renew the Google Apps password. For more information, see Renewing the Google Apps password for a given set of users.
Note the following:
- If you intend to distribute an AppConnect email app to devices, such as Ivanti Email+ for iOS, you must add the key email_password with a value of $GOOGLE_AUTOGEN_PASSWORD$ to the AppConnect app configuration for the email app. For more information, see “Configuring an AppConnect app configuration” in the AppConnect Guide for EPMM.
- Set the Exchange Username field to $EMAIL$ when using $GOOGLE_AUTOGEN_PASSWORD$ in the Password field and when using Android Enterprise managed configurations or AppConnect KVPs.
- In the Admin Portal go to Policies & Configs > Configurations.
- Select Add New > Exchange.
In the Exchange Setting dialog box, enter the following:
Enter brief text that identifies this group of Exchange settings.
Enter additional text that clarifies the purpose of this group of Exchange settings.
Enter the address of the mail server, such as m.google.com.
If you are using Standalone Sentry, do the following:
•Enter the address of Standalone Sentry.
•Go to Services > Sentry and edit your Standalone Sentry. In the ActiveSync Server field, enter m.google.com.
•If you are using load balancers, contact Ivanti, Inc Professional Services.
For more information about configuring Sentry, see the Ivanti Standalone Sentry Guide for EPMM.
Select to use secure connections.
You must use SSL to link to Google Apps.
Google Apps Password
When linking to Google Apps, select this option to use the Google Apps password to log in to the Google account you have configured to work with Ivanti EPMM. This password allows device users to access their mail, contacts, and calendar data on their managed devices.
When selected, Ivanti EPMM grays out the ActiveSync User Name and ActiveSync User Password.
This check box only appears if you have configured a Google account with Ivanti EPMM, as described in Synchronizing Google account data.
ActiveSync User Email
Specify the variable for the email address to be used with this Exchange configuration. You can specify any or all of the following variables $EMAIL$, $USERID$, $PASSWORD$.
$MANAGED_APPLE_ID$ can be used for Shared iPad devices and User Enrolled devices only.
You can also specify custom formats, such as $USERID$_US. Custom attribute variable substitutions are supported.
Typically, you use $EMAIL$ in this field.
Items to Synchronize
Select the items you want to synchronize with Google Apps: Contacts, Calendar, Email, Tasks.
Email access to Third-Party apps
Disable this option, so that third-party apps can use the account for email access.
- Select Save.
- Check the box next to the Exchange setting you created, and select Actions > Apply To Label.
Select the labels to which you want to apply the Exchange setting and select Apply.
For information on calling contacts using your Google email account, see Google Account .
If there is a communication error when sending a Google Apps password to Google, Ivanti EPMM
You can renew the Google password for an individual user or a set of users on the Users page in the Admin Portal. After you generate it, Ivanti EPMM pushes the new password to Google when the device checks in.
- Go to Devices & Users > Users.
- Select the user or users whose Google password you want to renew.
Select Actions > Renew Google Apps Password.
The Admin Portal shows a dialog that lists the users whose Google Apps password you want to renew.
Select Renew Google Apps Password.
The Admin Portal sends the request to renew the Google Apps password for the selected users.
- Select Close.