When creating a Portal, add site items to be displayed on the site menu bar.
The following items can be included on a Portal site:
- Actions (including powerful create options and interactive One-Step Actions): Use on a site's menu bar to support site items (Create Incident or Display Document Repository) and enhance navigation. Actions can also be used on dashboards and HTML pages.
- Action Catalogs: Display a self-building and dynamic catalog of Actions that empower customers to help themselves (example: Create a Service Catalog that displays all your services with Actions to create Incidents and Service Requests).
- Calendars: Displays time-sensitive Business Object data in a calendar format.
- Dashboards and Widgets: Provide custom, insightful control panels capable of executing commands and providing real-time, at-a-glance information. For example, a customer-specific dashboard complete with a Twitter Feed, a list of announcements, and a list of open/closed Incidents.
- Document Repositories: Provide a collection of resourceful documents, such as Knowledge Articles, that encourage customers to resolve their own issues.
- Forms/records: Allow customers to expedite service by creating, viewing, and editing their own records, such as Incidents and Service Requests, and possibly other customer's records.
- Grids: Allow customers to view CSM data from a Business Object in a format that can be sorted and exported.
- HTML Pages: Display a system administrator-designed HTML-coded page or host a web page from an external site.
- Knowledge: Search for Knowledge Articles (KAs) using a Portal site's configured search control. When using a KA in the Portal, customers can vote on article popularity by selecting the Like button and add feedback by selecting the Add a Comment link.
- Reports: Provide metrics of your record data in a formatted and organized presentation.
- Searching: Offers searching so that customers can easily locate information about the Portal. Use CSM's supplied search control or create your own search widget.
- Service Cart: Provides an e-commerce tool that customers can use to add multiple services to a single order, and then temporarily hold the services until they are ready to submit their order.
- Visualizations: Display a visual map of linked records, customers or vendors.
HTML pages are unique to the Portal. The other items are commonly used throughout CSM.
When a customer first accesses a site, a default Startup Item is displayed; this can be an Action Catalog (special widget), a dashboard, a document repository, an HTML page, a report, or a saved search (used to display a list of records). A customer can access other site items using the site menu bar. The Startup Item can also be accessed when users select the optional title logo/text or optional Home menu bar button.
Different startup items can be displayed upon login so information can be securely and appropriately filtered based on credentials. For example, display a Service Catalog to customers who are not logged in and then display a dashboard complete with a customer's Open Incidents for a customer who does log in.
To help build and manage the Portal and sites, CSM provides the Site Manager (manage sites at a high-level), the Site Wizard (create a cursory site), and the Site Editor and Site Properties window (edit/refine the way the site/site items look and behave). CSM also provides numerous CSM Item Managers that allow you to create site items, such as dashboards, HTML pages, and document repositories.