Create a Search Widget
Use the Search Widget Properties window (accessed from within the Widget Manager) to create a search widget.
To create a search widget:
- Create a widget.
- In the Type drop-down list, select Search.
- Define general properties for the search widget:
- Title: This field is not used for a search widget. A title can be defined, but is not displayed on the widget.
- Define which type of search is available (can be run) from the widget.
- Select one option:
- Quick Search: Select this option to allow a quick search to be run from the widget (allows users to search multiple Business Objects for all applicable records that contain specific words or phrases).
- Specific search: Select this option to allow a specific search to be run from the widget (allows users to search one Business Object for all applicable records that contain specific words or phrases).
- Both: Select this option to allow both a quick search and a specific search to be run from the widget.
- If both types of searches are available in the widget, select a default search (either quick or specific).
- Select one option:
- Render Mode: Choose from Default or Simple options. The simple option has no drop-down list for selecting saved searches. To set a border around the search bar, set a background style first and then the border option will appear. For example, the simple option can look like this in the Portal:
The simple option of the search widget cannot currently be rendered in the Dashboard Editor.
- Define options for quick search (if used on widget):
- In the Options area, select the Quick Search page.
- Custom Watermark Text: Select this check box to include a watermark inside the Search Control's box, and then provide the text to display (example: "Type search words here").
- Select the items (Business Objects) to include in the search, and then define search options for each: For each item, select Add, and then select a Business Object (or Document Repository) to include in the search.
Define the following search options for each Business Object:
Document Repository options are limited to applicable options.
- Name: Auto-fills with the name of the Business Object/Doc Repository.
- Custom Watermark: Select this check box to include a watermark inside the widget's search box. Provide the watermark text to display (example: "Search Incident").
- Search For Any/All Words: Select whether to use any (OR) or all (AND) logic in the search.
- Open [records] Only: Select this check box to limit the search to records that have not reached their final state (example: Not closed).
The lifecycle and terminology vary depending on the Business Object and scenario (example: "Unapproved Changes" is a lifecycle state for Change, and therefore is only available when searching Changes). If the Business Object does not have a "final" or closed state, the check box is not available.
- Changed: Select a timeframe to limit the search (example: Any time).
- Sort By: Select the Business Object Field (column) to use to sort the search results. Select Sort in Descending Order to toggle the sort order between ascending and descending order. A non-active icon indicates ascending order; an active icon indicates descending order.
- Search Related: Select this check box to include related Business Objects in the search (example: If the search word appears in a journal entry, the Incident to which it is attached will be included in the search results).
In order to be included in the search, both the related Business Object and the relationship must be enabled for full text search (example: Select the Include in Full Text Search check box on the Business Object Properties window in a Blueprint (Search Results page) and the When Searching <bus ob> Include <related bus ob> in Full Text Search check box on the Relationship Properties window (General page)).
- Search Attachments: Select this check box to include attachments in the search.
Attachments must be imported and attached to Business Objects in order to be searched. For example, if an Incident has an attached Word document that contains the search words, that Incident is included in the search results.
- Limit Results: Select this check box to limits the results using defined criteria (example: Show only Incidents created within the last year). Select Query to define a Query that limits the search results.
- Default to Limited: Always selected.
- Limit Display Text: Provide the text to display above the search results so that users know how the data was filtered.
- Define options for the specific search (if used on widget):
- In the Options area, select the Specific Search page.
- Define specific search options:
- Include All Of The Items Available In Quick Search As Individual Specific Options: Select this check box to include the Business Objects that were defined on the Quick Search page. Each of these objects will be available in a drop-down list on the widget and can be selected and searched individually.
- Include All Standard Options Available To User As Specific Options: Select this check box to include all Business Objects with quick search enabled (Show in Quick Search is checked on the Search Results page in the Business Object's properties window in a Blueprint). Each of these objects will be available in a drop-down list on the widget and can be selected and searched individually.
- Select the items (Business Objects) to include in the search, and then define search options for each (same as on the Quick Search page).