Define a Print Action
Use the Print Action to create a document that is automatically sent to a selected printer when a One-Step™ Action is run.
For example, print certain fields of an Incident record (or group of Incident records) in a memo format. Fields can be inserted as tokens, and the Rich Text Zoom window can be used to format the contents.
You can use a printer:
- On the machine from which the One-Step Action is run.
- On another machine on the same network.
- On a machine on a remote network, using Trusted Agents.
Users running the One-Step Action must have permissions to access the printer you specify in any case.
Print Actions Good to Know
- Print Actions are supported in the Browser Client and CSM Portal when Trusted Agents are used to run the Print Actions. Cherwell SaaS customers must configure a Trusted Agent to use printers on their remote network; on-premises customers can configure a Trusted Agent to use printers on their local network or on a remote network. If you do not configure Trusted Agents, users receive an error indicating that Print Actions are not supported when the One-Step Action is run on the Browser Client or CSM Portal. See Configure One-Step Actions for Trusted Agent. SaaS customers can configure a Trusted Agent to use printers on their remote network; on-premises customers can configure a Trusted Agent to use printers on their local network or on a remote network. If you do not configure Trusted Agents, Users receive an error indicating that Print Actions are not supported when the One-Step Actions is run on the Browser Client or Portal.
- If multiple Print Actions within a One-Step Action are not associated with the same print job, then the contents from each Action are sent to the printer separately and are typically printed on separate pages.
Defining a Print Action
To define a Print Action for a One-Step Action:
- Open the One-Step Editor.
- Add a Print Action to the Designer Board.
- Define general properties for the Print Action:
Option Description Name Provide a display name for the Action. Printer In the drop-down, select a printer from the following options:
- Printers available in your network.
- Remote printers available for the selected Trusted Agent Group, if Trusted Agents are enabled for the Action.
Select the Page Setup button to open the Page Setup window and define options for how the document is printed (paper size, paper source, orientation, and margin size).
- Provide content to print, such as text. Select the Selector button to insert tokens (example: fields, system functions, prompts, expressions, stored values, metrics, and counters) directly into the text.
- Define additional options for the Print Action:
Option Description When running against a group, append text together before printing If you run the One-Step Action against a group of records, select this check box to append them together before they are printed (rather than printing each record separately). Associate with a print job If there are several Print Actions within a One-Step Action, select this check box to have the contents for each Print Action printed together under the same print job, and then provide a name for the print job. This option is only available if you select the option to append text together before printing.
- Define the Annotations for a One-Step Action.
- Select Save.
Configuring the Print Action for Trusted Agents
These steps must be performed if you intend to run a One-Step Action that includes a Print Action from the CSM Browser Client or Portal.
To configure the Print Action to run on a remote network:
- Follow the steps in Configure One-Step Actions to Run on Trusted Agents.
- Select the Print page for the Print Action, and then select a printer from the drop-down list. The list should contain printers available on the remote Trusted Agent machine.