Define a Transfer Attachments Action
Use the Transfer Attachments Action to transfer attachments to a file system or Business Object from another file system or Business Object.
For example, import files from a folder on your computer into CSM and attach them to an Incident record. Or, get log files from users by executing the Action on a remote network using Trusted Agents.
This Action allows you to select which Business Object to execute against, if more than one is available within the One-Step™ Action. Options can include one or more of the following, depending on which Business Objects are available:
- Original Business Object from the Association (selected when the One-Step Action is created).
- Business Object from a Create a New Business Object Action preceding this Action.
- Business Object from a Go To a Record Action preceding this Action.
Types of Attachment Transfers
You can transfer attachments from a Business Object or a directory. In some cases, you can execute the Action on a remote network using Trusted Agents.
|Transfer Action||From||Description||Trusted Agent Support|
|Save||Business Objects||Attachments are saved as files in a specified directory (they also remain in the original Business Object).||Yes|
|Move||Business Objects||Attachments are transferred to another Business Object (they are no longer in the original Business Object).||No|
|Copy||Business Objects||Attachments are duplicated and attached to another Business Object (they also remain in the original Business Object).||No|
|Delete||Business Objects||Attachments are permanently removed from the Business Object.||No|
|Imported||Directory||Files are imported into CSM from a specified directory and attached to a selected Business Object. Imported files become part of the CSM database (increasing its size) and are not linked to the directory; therefore, they must be re-imported each time the files are changed.||Yes|
|Link||Directory||Files are linked to CSM from a specified directory and attached to a selected Business Object. Files are located in and accessed from the directory, and Users must have access to that directory in order to view the files.||No|
|Delete||Directory||Files are deleted from the specified directory.||Yes|
Transfer Attachments Good to Know
- If you are writing to or importing from a directory on a local machine or an accessible machine on your network, you can select the Ellipses button to navigate to the directory location. If you are configuring the Action to run using a Trusted Agent Group, the Ellipses button is disabled and you must type or paste the fully qualified path and directory name for the remote machine.
- Using a Trusted Agent with this Action may be required for SaaS customers. See Configure One-Step Actions for Trusted Agent.
- The ability to transfer attachments using a One-Step Action depends on File Attachment rights.
Define a Transfer Attachments Action for a One-Step Action
To define a Transfer Attachments Action for a One-Step Action:
- Open the One-Step Editor.
- Add a Transfer Attachments Action to the Designer Board.
- Select the General page.
- Define general properties for the Transfer Attachments Action:
Option Description Name Provide a display name for the Action (this is how the Action is identified within the One-Step Action). From Attachment Source (the location from which attachments are transferred) From Business Object Select this radio button to transfer attachments from a Business Object. In the drop-down, select a Business Object. Save Business Object After Action
Select the check box to automatically save updates to the Business Object after the Action executes.
If the check box is cleared, updates to the Business Object are not automatically saved.
Users are prompted to save their changes if they navigate from the Business Object, however. This includes changes made by the Action and any changes made by Users before they ran the One-Step. The One-Step Action continues to run whether or not they choose to save their changes. In the Browser Client and Portal, this occurs after the last Action is executed for the One-Step Action.
If the One-Step Action is run from the Scheduling Server or an Automation Process, there is no Prompt to save changes and they may be lost.
From Directory Select this radio button to transfer attachments from a folder in a system directory and specify a directory. Browse to a folder location on the computer or use the selector to open the Token menu and insert Tokens that contain the name of the directory.
- Select a transfer action for the attachments:
Option Description Business Object
- Save: Save attachments from the selected Business Object to a directory. Provide the fully qualified path and name (using text and/or Tokens) of the directory where attachments will be saved.
- Move: Move attachments from the selected From Business Object to another Business Object. Then, in the drop-down, select a To Business Object.
- Copy: Copy attachments from the selected From Business Object to another Business Object. Then, in the drop-down, select a To Business Object. Save Business Object after Action: Select this check box to automatically save the Business Object after the Action executes.
- Delete: Delete attachments from the selected From Business Object.
- Import: Import files from the defined From Directory into the CSM system and attach them to a Business Object. Then, select a To Business Object.
- Link: Link files from the defined From Directory directly to the CSM system and attach them to a Business Object. Then, select a To Business Object. To view linked files, Users must have access to the network where the files are located.
- Delete: Delete files from the selected directory.
- Select an action to perform if saving attachments results in conflicts:
Option Description Overwrite Overwrite existing attachments/files in the Business Object/directory with the transferred attachments/files if they have the same name. Skip Skip transferring attachments/files if they have the same name as the existing attachments/files in the Business Object/directory. Save with a new name (will append number) Import, link, save, move, or copy attachments/files but to give them a new filename if they have the same name as the existing attachment/files in the Business Object/directory. Prompt before overwriting Prompt the User before any attachments/files are overwritten (works in the Desktop Client only).
- Select the Attachments/Files page. If a Business Object is the attachment source, the Attachments page is shown. If a File System is the attachment source, the Files page is shown.
- Define which attachments/files to include in the transfer action selected on the General page. For more information, see Action Attachments. File Attachment rights control the attachment operations that can be performed in CSM.
- Define the Annotations for a One-Step Action.
- Select Save.
Configuring the Transfer Attachments Action for Trusted Agents
To configure the Transfer Attachments Action to run on a remote network, follow the steps in Configure One-Step Actions to Run on Trusted Agents.