Import External Data into a New External Business Object
Create a new Business Object to import external data into.
When importing external data, data is imported into the Cherwell Service Management system and edited there. Linking external data allows for the data to be manipulated within the external source.
To import external data to a new External Business Object:
- In the CSM Administrator main window, select the Blueprints category, and then select Create a New Blueprint or open an existing Blueprint.
The Blueprint Editor opens, showing the Object Manager in its Main Pane. The Object Manager lists the existing Business Objects.
- Select New Object from the Blueprint Object Manager, and then select the New external Business Object task. The External Data Wizard opens.
The Import vs. Linked page opens.
- Select the Import data option.
The Data Source page opens.
- Select Ellipses. The External Connection manager opens. Select an existing External Database or select New to create a new External Connection.
The External Table to Map page opens, listing the Tables and/or Views from an External Database.
- Select the Table or View to import.
The Business Object Type page opens if creating a new object. If using an existing object, go to the Map to Fields page.
- Select the Type of Business Object to create: Major, Supporting, or Lookup.
The Part of Cherwell Group Group page opens.
- Define Group information options for the External Business Object:
- Not a Member of a Group: Select this option if the Business Object is not part of a Group.
- Group Leader: Select this option to make the Business Object a Group Leader.
- Member of: Select this option if the Business Object is going to be part of an existing Group. Select the Group from the enabled drop-down list.
The Fields to Map page opens.
- Map fields from the Table/View to a Field in the new External Business Object:
- To map all available Table/View Fields at once, select Map all fields. The Wizard automatically creates a new Field for each external Table/View Field and populates the mapping list.
- To map one Field at a time, select Add.
The Map Field from External Table window opens, listing the available Table/View fields.
- Select the external field to map to.
- Select Create new field and type a name for the new field.
The Unique Key and Timestamp Fields page opens.
- Designate a Unique Key and Timestamp Field:
- Field that Holds Unique Key: Select the Field from the View that is considered the unique identifier (example: MachineID or ComputerID).
- Last Modified Date/Time: Select the Field from the Table/View that is considered the last modified date/time Field (example: LastScanDate or date_modified).
- Select Next.
The Read-Only or Updatable page opens.
- Select the Data is read-only or Allow data to be updated option.
The Name and Description page opens.
- Provide the Name and Description for the Business Object.
The Summary page opens. The information varies depending on selections throughout the wizard.
The Business Object's Properties window opens, showing current (and editable) properties, including a new external data page where the Field mappings, unique ID, and last modified date/time Fields can be viewed/edited.
- Select OK to close the Properties window.
- Create Forms and Grids for the External Business Object just as for a new CSM Business Object.
- (Optional for Supporting Objects) If needed, create a Relationship between the newly created Supporting Objects and the Major Object they support.
- Publish the Blueprint (File>Publish Blueprint) to commit the changes, or save the Blueprint (File>Save Blueprint) to continue making other changes.