Setting the firmware policy for Zebra devices
Administrators can limit device updates to Zebra OTA (Over The Air) firmware releases using this feature. While creating the firmware policy, the administrator needs to also configure the firmware with respect to the device models. When applying the label to the policy, the policy is pushed to all the devices that meets that label criteria.
The administrator can create and apply multiple policies to a single label. The policy with the highest priority is applied in case of conflicts between multiple policies.
Before you begin
- Activate your Zebra OTA (Over The Air) service. See Enrolling in the Zebra OTA (Over The Air) service.
- Verify that affected devices are running Ivanti Mobile@Work version 10.6 or supported newer versions.
Earlier Zebra firmware had patch updates as well as full upgrades. From Android versions 11 and above, patch upgrades are not supported. Upgrade option is available from android 11 and above for Zebra firmware policy.
To test any inactive firmwares published by Zebra, open a support case. Inactive firmwares may possibly cause devices to factory reset and could cause data loss.
- Log into the Admin Portal.
- Go to Policies & Configs > Policies.
- Select Add New > Android > Firmware policy. The Add Android Firmware Policy dialog box opens.
- Enter a unique name for the policy in the Name field.
- Select a Status.
- Active: to turn on this policy.
- Inactive: to turn off this policy.
- Select Priority then select Higher than or Lower than to select an existing policy from the drop-down list.
This option is only available if there is more than one policy.
- Enter a Description (optional).
- Select the Enable Zebra OTA Firmware Policy check box. The section expands.
- See the following table for a description of the fields in the Zebra firmware policy.
Lists the model of the Zebra device(s), for example, TC51, TC52.
Current Build ID
Lists the Build ID currently on the selected Zebra device.
Lists the number of Zebra devices with the current build ID and device model.
Leaving the selection to None indicates no action will be taken.
Selecting the None link opens a drop-down box to choose:
- Full Upgrade - Zebra Android Device firmware upgrade, from selected version to the next major version (for example, from version 1.0 to 2.0.) Includes Build ID, Security Patch Date, OS Version and Description of the firmware.
- Patch Upgrade - Zebra Android Device firmware upgrade for patch releases, for example, from version 1.1 to 1.2. Includes Build ID, Security Patch Date, OS Version and Description of the firmware.
Target Build ID
Defines the build selected by the administrator for the firmware upgrade. Ivanti EPMM only displays the firmware that is above the Current device build; device firmware downgrade is not supported.
Administrator can select on the link of the target build and modify the selected version.
Defines the date when the firmware is released.
Operating System version of the Zebra device.
Download over Metered Network
Disabled by default. Select to require the Zebra Firmware be downloaded over a metered network.
Enabled by default. Require the Zebra device be plugged in and charging at the time of the firmware download / upgrade.
Require Device Idle
Enabled by default. Require the Zebra device be idle / not being used at the time of the firmware download / upgrade.
Apply Schedule for Download
Selecting the check box activates the section.
Select the day(s) of the week, the Start Time and End Time of the download. The time referenced is the local time of the Zebra device.
Apply Schedule for Update
Selecting the check box activates the section.
Select the Start Date, End Date, Start Time and End Time of the upgrade. The time referenced is the local time of the Zebra device.
- Select Save.
- Select the policy then select Actions > Apply to Label.
- Select one or more labels.
- Select Apply.
You can check the status of the system update for a Zebra Android device by going to the Device details page and viewing the values in the Zebra Build Fingerprint, Zebra Device Build Id, Zebra Device System Update, Zebra OTA Capable, and the Zebra Patch Version fields.
- In the Admin portal, go to Devices & Users > Devices.
- In the Advance search field, use the Zebra Device System Update option as part of your search criteria.
- The following values can be returned (listed alphabetically):
Available (Android 8 or Zebra devices)
A system update is currently available for this device.
Downloading (Zebra only)
System update is currently being downloaded to the Zebra device.
Pending (Zebra devices only)
The system update policy has been applied but the update has not been downloaded or applied.
The most current update is installed (applicable for Zebra Android 8.0 or supported newer versions.)
Not supported by client or OS version.
- Alternately, you can expand a device and in the Device Details tab, scroll to the bottom to the Zebra Device System Update field.