Use the Assign panel to edit and view how line items are assigned to specific machines or users, or assigned to groups (example: a specific department).
Layout of the Assign Panel
The layout of the Assign panel includes a list of categories in the left pane and a toolbar at the top right (visible when a category on the left is selected). The right pane, the largest area of the panel, is where you can view and modify assignments. The right pane changes according to whatever you select in the left pane, and Purchasing "remembers" where you were last in your current browser session.
The Assign panel's toolbar includes the following buttons:
- Reassign selected items: This button is only available when you select one of the subcategories of the All Machine/User Assignments or All Group Assignments categories on the left. Mark the check boxes next to one or more items, and then select this button to change the item(s) assignments. This button is useful when you want to do something like change all assignments for a retiring user to a new hire, or make a new department responsible for software that was previously assigned to another department.
- Search: Select to search for assignment information. The toolbar expands to include a line where you enter your search criteria.
- Refresh: Select to refresh the contents of the right pane.
- Export to Excel: Select to export the contents of the right pane to an Excel spreadsheet. You'll be prompted to open the results or save them to a file in the path you choose.
The left pane includes the following categories for specific tasks:
- Information: Provides an overview of how line item assignments work.
- Summary: Includes a basic list, with subcategories for hardware and software line items. You can expand the rows to show the corresponding line items that make up that row.
- Not Assigned Summary: Lists any line items not currently assigned, with subcategories for hardware and software line items. Select an item to change its assignments.
- Overassigned Summary: Lists any line items that you've assigned to too many users or machines, with subcategories for hardware and software line items. Select an item to change its assignments.
- All Machine/User Assignments: Lists all current line item assignments, with subcategories for to-machine and to-user assignments. You can edit individual assignments here, or make bulk reassignments in the subcategories by selecting multiple items and then selecting the Reassign selected items button.
- All Group Assignments: Lists all current
line item group assignments, with subcategories for items assigned to asset
group, machine group, or user group.
You can edit individual assignments here, or make bulk group assignments in the subcategories by selecting multiple items and then selecting the Reassign selected items button. Not all links are available for some items. The Reassign selected items button is not available for reconciled software items and thus you cannot "bulk reassign" reconciled software.
- All Serial Numbers: In the Assigned to Machine/User category, lists all assignment records that have serial numbers and are assigned. The Not Assigned to Machine/User category lists all assignment records that have serial numbers and are not assigned.
The right pane updates with your selection in the left pane, showing the records that pertain to your selection on the left, as described above.