Configure Slack Channel Naming Conventions
By default, names for Slack channels created from within the Related Items pane use the internal name of a Business Object and its public ID in this format:
businessobjectinternalname-id. You cannot modify the use of the internal name, but you can use a custom field instead of the public ID.
This task is part of a larger workflow: Configure Slack for the Related Items Pane.
The following guidelines apply to Slack channel naming conventions:
- Users cannot modify channel names.
- The entire name of a Slack channel cannot exceed 80 characters.
- Channel names must be unique.
To change default naming conventions for Slack channels:
- Create a Blueprint.
- From the Object Manager, select the Business Object that is configured to integrate with Slack. For example, select Incident.
- Create or modify a field with the following settings on the Field Properties window:
Option Description Field Type (General page) Text Length (General page) No more than 19 characters. Calculated Value (Properties page) For best results, add an expression that automatically calculates a unique value for the field, such as a counter. General attributes (Advanced page) Add this atttribute: ChatChannelIdentifier.
- Save your changes.
- Publish the Blueprint.
Next task: Configure Slack Chat History Archiving.