Manually Lock a Record
Use the Unlocked button on the CSM toolbar on theDesktop Client and Browser Client to manually lock a record.
Good to know:
- Some systems are configured to automatically lock a record when you start editing it (implicit locking).
- If your system is configured to explicitly lock a record, you need to manually lock the record before you can edit the record.
To manually lock a record:
- Open a record (example: Incident).
- On the CSM Desktop Client toolbar or CSM Browser Client toolbar, click the Unlocked button.
You can also click Edit>Unlocked from the CSM Desktop Client menu bar.
To the lock holder (User who locked the record):
- The Record Locking button toggles to the Locked By You button so that the User can manually unlock the record, if needed.
To any User who tries to edit the locked record:
- The locked record can be viewed but not updated
If record locking is configured to be informational (rather than enforced), the record is editable but the User is warned that another User has the record locked. If two Users simultaneously edit the same record, CSM gives the User the option to merge the edits.
- The Locked By User button indicates that the record is locked by another User (lock holder). A tooltip indicates whom has the record locked, when it was locked, and when the lock will expire.
- The lock holder edits the record.
When locked, several scenarios are possible, depending on the record locking configuration (settings and security rights):
- If record locking is configured to have a lock renewal period (example: 3 minutes), the lock holder has the option to renew the record lock before it expires.
- If record locking is configured to automatically unlock the record after a save, the record will be automatically unlocked after the lock holder saves the record. The record holder can then either leave the record or re-lock the record to continue editing.
- If record locking is not configured to automatically unlock the record after a save, the lock holder can manually unlock the record:
- By clicking the Locked By You button on the toolbar.
- Using the Record Locking Manager in the CSM Desktop Client.
- If the lock holder does not manually unlock the record, the record will be automatically unlocked when: