Search for Bytes Dialog
Use the Search for Bytes dialog to provide a string of bytes unique to the file type you want to detect and limit access to. It is launched in the New Custom File Type or Edit Custom File Type dialogs by selecting Add > Search for Bytes.
On this dialog you can:
- Enter a string of bytes in hexadecimal notation unique to the file type you want to detect. Spaces, and line breaks are allowed. For example, 02 BF 03.
- Set a Reference Point from where the system is to start its search for the byte string:
The beginning of the file – Search starts from the beginning of the file (Byte 0).
The current file position – Search starts at the current position of the Reference Point.
The end of the file – Search starts after the last byte in the file. If this Reference Point is selected, you must use a negative offset.
If the bytes are found, the current position is changed to the byte after the end of the matching byte string.
- Set an offset value to have the system search for the string from a particular location in the file:
Use this offset – Enter a value that represents the number of bytes from the Reference Point the system should search for the unique byte string. Negative values go left from the Reference Point.
Use the offset in this variable – Select the value contained in a pre-defined variable to set the number of bytes from the Reference Point, the system should look for the unique byte string.
- Set a byte range within which the system is to confine its search for the byte string:
Bytes must start within this distance of the offset – Enter a value that represents the length of the byte range from the offset, where the system is to search for the beginning of the byte string.
Use the distance in this variable – Select the value contained in a pre-defined variable to set the length of the byte range from the current position, where the system is to search for the beginning of the byte string.
- Manage Custom File Types Dialog
- New Custom File Type dialog
- Edit Custom File Type Dialog
- Read a Variable dialog
- Change Current Position Dialog
- Check End of File Dialog