Cherwell Asset Management mApp Solution 2.8
The Cherwell Asset Management (CAM) mApp® Solution provides an interface between Cherwell Asset Management and Cherwell Service Management. The mApp Solution provides maximum visibility and control over your network IT inventory software, license entitlements, and purchasing data.
Platform Version Requirements: Tested on CSM 10.2.0.
Content Version Requirements: Tested on CSM 10.2.0; CAM mApp Solution 2.8 contains specific changes to work with 10.2.0 OOTB content. If you have an older content version, you should download the CAM mApp Solution 2.7 instead, available in the Customer Support Portal.
Prerequisites: CAM 15.0, 15.1, and 15.2. These versions require a patch to be applied to the CAM system, available from Customer Support.
For content versions earlier than those listed above, review the documentation and carefully test against a copy of the current installation to determine suitability for your environment. Additional manual work may be required based on current system configurations.
When you incorporate CAM into CSM, you can share with and use inventory data (example: Workstations, installed programs and software, installed services, disks) within the CSM Configuration Management Database (CMDB) as Configuration Item records.
This mApp Solution includes multiple features, including Business Objects (example: Config - Not Inventoried), One-Step™ Actions (example: Update Config - Not Inventoried), and saved searches (example: CAM Computer).
The mApp Solution is compatible with Trusted Agents. See Trusted Agents.
How the mApp Solution Works
Use the CAMmApp Solution to easily discover all of your devices on the network and choose to view additional information about those devices. If a device is imported and the system cannot identify what it is, then the new Business Object holds the information.
For a list of items included in the mApp Solution, see CAM mApp Solution Items.
Apply the mApp Solution
To apply the mApp Solution:
- Review the recommendations and considerations for applying mApp Solutions. For more information, see Considerations for Applying mApp Solutions.
- Extract the mApp Solution .zip file to a location that can be accessed by CSM.
- In CSM Administrator, use the Apply mApp Wizard to apply the mApp Solution. For more information, see Apply a mApp Solution. Select the topic that matches your version of CSM.
- Review the language packs included with the mApp Solution, then select Next.
Refer to Apply a Language Pack for the procedure to apply translated strings to your system. English is the default language for the CAMmApp Solution.
- Select the Edit External Connection option to open the External Connection Wizard. Use the External Connection Wizard to create an External Connection with the CAM Database. The selections for each page of the External Connection Wizard are:
- Data Source: Select SQL Server.
- Database Location: Select Specific Server and provide the database name.
- Select Database: Provide the database name or select Browse to locate and select the database.
- Login Options: Select Windows authentication or type the ID and password for the database.
- Database Owner or Schema: Select a database owner or schema in the drop-down list, if implemented. If the schema is not implemented, provide the owner name. If unsure, provide the default dbo.
- Pooling Options: Use the default pooling options, which are usually acceptable for most scenarios. Optional: Customize your caching options by setting your own pool sizes.
- Connection Name: Pre-populated with the name of the database provided from step b above. Optional: Provide a description for the connection.
- Connection String: Select Test Connection to verify the connection string used. Text appears next to the button, confirming the connection is successful. If the test connection is not successful, contact your system administrator or Cherwell administrator.
The External Connection Wizard closes.
If you're using the 10.2.0 ESM czar, you'll encounter the following Blueprint scan error: "Table validation expression references a non-existent field." The referenced table was deleted, so to avoid this error, turn validation off.
Steps to Configure the mApp Solution
- Configure Security Roles.
- Schedule Configuration Items.
- Schedule One-Step Actions.
How to Use the mApp Solution in the CSM Desktop Client
- Access Secondary Forms with Imported Fields.
- View Imported Data for Configuration Items.
- Optionally Assign Configuration Items to Customers.
- Replace License Fields in the Config - Software License Business Object Form.
For more details on these steps, see Use the CAM mApp Solution.
This functionality is only available after you apply the mApp Solution.
|mApp Version||Platform Version Requirements||Content Version Requirements||Prerequisites|
|2.8||Tested on 10.2.0||Tested on 10.2.0; CAMmApp Solution 2.8 contains specific changes to work with 10.2.0 OOTB content. If you have an older content version, you should download the CAMmApp Solution 2.7 instead, available in the Customer Support Portal.||CAM 15.0, 15.1, and 15.2. These versions require a patch to be applied to the CAM system, available from Customer Support.|
|2.7||Tested on 10.1.0||Tested on 10.1.0||CAM 14.2|
|1.5.1||5.0.0||8.1.0 to 9.2.0||CAM|
|1.0||5.0.0||8.0.2 or earlier||CAM|