Automation Processes allow you to automate behavior by creating rules for the system to follow. For example, you can automate the process for sending a notification to a requester when an Incident is closed.
Automation Processes can automatically complete an Action when a particular event takes place or handle time-sensitive issues, such as notifying a technician when a customer has not been contacted within four hours of creating a request. Automation Processes can also watch for trends, such as taking action when the number of open Incidents exceeds a particular threshold.
Automation Processes operate within the time frame of defined Business Hours.
Types of Automation Processes
There are three types of Automation Processes:
- Visual Workflow Process: Defines a sequence of time-based and event-based steps that manage a Business Object as it passes through various stages.
- Threshold-Based Process: Watches a value and performs an Action after a threshold is crossed.
- Simple Action/Event Process: Runs a One-Step™ Action or action after a specific event occurs.
Automation Process Framework
Automation Processes are created and edited in Blueprints because they rely on Business Object logic to determine when they should run. There are three ways to manage Automation Process definitions in CSM Administrator:
- Create or edit an Automation Process Blueprint from the Automation Processes pane.
- Create or edit a Blueprint.
- Create or edit a mApp® Solution.
Regardless of the method you choose, Automation Processes cannot run until they have been published in a Blueprint or mApp Solution.
When conditions are met, Automation Processes are triggered and processed by the Automation Process Service, which is a microservice of the Cherwell Service Host.
Approvals are also processed by the Automation Process Service.
You can pause and resume Automation Processes directly in CSM Administrator. See Pause/Resume Automation Process Processing.
Use tools in CSM Administrator to enable, disable, and monitor Automation Processes. See Use Automation Processes.