Record Features and Capabilities
CSM records have numerous features and capabilities such as searching, security, and forms.
All CSM Records
- Searching: Quickly locate all records by running a quick search, or search for a particular record or set of records by refining the search criteria to a word/phrase, timeframe, or customer. Use saved search to save/run commonly-run searches. For more information, see About Quick Search and About Saved Searches.
- Saved Searches: Use saved searches to quickly locate/filter records, or to automate searching in reports or on dashboards.
- Security: Secure records by controlling who can view, create, and edit them. See About Security Groups.
- Business Object: Use a Business Object to track records; configure the Business Object to capture/track only what you want.
- Form: Use forms to create, edit, and track records. The forms provide important at-a-glance information: ID, status (current and next status), priority indicator, requester, record owner, SLA respond/resolve target times, common operations, and an arrangement area to dynamically display linked records (child records) that are in a relationship with the parent record. See Record Ownership.
- Workflow: Use the streamlined workflow to move records from new to closed.
- Ownership: Assign each record to a record owner to ensure accountability.
- Linked Records: Link child records to a parent record to keep supporting information at your fingertips and to ensure data relationships. Linked child records are visible in the arrangement.
- Tasks:: Use linked Tasks to distribute and track individual pieces of work assigned to teams or users.
- History and Revision tracking: Use linked Journals to track important status and field changes. For more information, see Incident Journals, Problem Journals, and Change Journals.
- Rich Text: Use rich text to complement your descriptions by adding formatting and images/screenshots.
- Actions/One-Step™ Actions: Use powerful Actions and One-Step Actions to move records through their workflow, initiate common operations (example: Assign ownership), initiate scenario-specific Actions, and run reports. For more information, see About Actions and About One-Step Actions. Actions/One-Step Actions are available on the record forms (including from the CSM Desktop Client Task Pane and CSM Desktop Client menu bar), and on the dashboards.
- Dashboards: Use dashboards to view your critical metrics/data in a single, real-time, control panel. For example, the dashboards display the number of open, reopened, pending, and overdue records; the number of open records affecting VIP customers; the average number of records resolved in a month; the percentage/number of records in each status of the workflow (new, assigned, classify, assess); and the number of records by category.
- Reports: Run reports to show up-to-date statistics on most common records, user and team workloads, closure rates, service trends, potential SLA breaches, and more. For more information, see About Reporting.
- Automation Processes: Use Automation Processes to automatically close records and to send emails. See Automation Processes.